Ever After - Chapter 19

Purple banners with the Agreste family crest fluttered above the heads of the multiple noblemen and women gathered in the Castle Hall where they had gathered to witness a once in a lifetime event: the crowning of a king.

From the left wing of the dais where the thrones sat, the current king, Gabriel, appeared at the sound of blaring trumpets followed by his assistant, Natalie. The crowd curtsied in harmony, those gathered bowing and straightening like a wave out at sea as the king took his place before them.

"People of Kyrria," he proclaimed calmly, his voice echoing in the cavernous space, "today is a very special day for our kingdom. For today, you are here to witness the crowning of a king."

He waved his hand and from the right side of the dais, four priests filed in followed by Adrien in all of his refinery, a long cloak wrapped around his shoulders and his head dipped low like a penitent. Despite the fervent clapping and joy coming from the crowd, he did not smile, he did not greet them. He merely walked over to stand before his father before turning to look at those who came from the far reaches of the kingdom to witness such a momentous occasion. He kept his eyes averted from where his fan club screeched and waved banners bearing his likeness and his name.

While the high priest started to go through the vows and all of the minutia of transferring the title, Marinette's plan was already being set in motion just outside the grand halls doors. She and her friends were hidden behind one of the doors of a side hallway, peering cautiously out at the guards who flanked the doors.

"You know what to do?" Marinette said, looking at Kim and his friends who were eagerly waiting behind her along with their giant friends and Alya.

"Do you even need to ask?" Kim replied, sounding slightly offended at her accusation of them not being willing to get even mild revenge on any associates of the king, including his watchdogs. Marinette held up her hands in surrender, stepping away from the doors to let Kim, Alix and Max through.

It took all of three seconds for the ogres to spring from their hiding place and overwhelm the armored guards with a few well placed hits to their metal helmets from their heavy clubs. The men crumpled to the floor, the ogres taking their place as the watchmen with gleeful grins in Marinette's direction.

Marinette gave them the thumbs up, she and her friends slipping into the entry hall quietly. She looked up at Ivan. "We clear on the plan?"

"Of course, Marinette," Ivan replied, standing alongside the door with Luka and Nino. "You go save the prince, we'll handle whatever happens out here."

Marinette rested a hand with a look of gratitude on the giant's ankle. "Thank you, Ivan, I will."

She grinned at Nino who gave her the thumbs up and Luka who wished her luck before turning to the grand hall doors. She took a deep breath before pressing her hands onto the heavy oak surface and pushing with all her might.

Marinette already knew from the loud creak that the door hinges meant that she had thoroughly interrupted the proceedings to some degree. When she finally took stock of the room, every eye was on her, including Adrien's from where he was kneeled on the far side of the hall, the poisoned crown hovering inches above his golden hair. She wasn't sure who was more surprised, Marinette or Adrien. Marinette's throat went dry at the sight of him, but she pushed through it, her gaze hardening as she looked at King Gabriel. "Drop that crown!"

Adrien leapt to his feet at the same time his father did, King Gabriel practically snarling as he thrust his staff towards her. "Seize them!"

The noblemen shrieked with fright as the knights gathered in the hall sprang to action, all of them aimed at Marinette where she stood at the head of her friends. She stumbled backwards, narrowly avoiding a sword swung for her head only for it to be blocked by Kim's club. The ogre parried the sword easily, pulling it from the knight's grasp before swinging for his head. The knight slammed heavily into the ground with a clang only to be replaced by a duplicate coming up from behind. Kim, Alix and Max went to work effectively against the king's men, the might of humanity nothing before the strength of larger than life ogres and their need for revenge.