Ever After - Chapter 14

The Dun Flyin' Retirement Home for Fairies was tucked away in a crowded and noisy section of Lamia known as Lamia Height. Clotheslines hung with that day's wash were strewn between cottages while neighbors shouted at one another from upper story windows. At the corners, street vendors hawked everything from newspapers to hunks of freshly grilled meat. Marinette pulled her hood tighter around her face as she passed by a rather noisy lute player on a street corner in hopes of not being guilted into tipping him for the unwanted music. Carriages were bumper to bumper while alleyways were cluttered with the unwanted people of Lamia and beyond. The retirement home was made to look like a cozy little hideaway, but amidst the hustle and bustle, combined with grime-covered walls and chipping paint, it looked more like a halfway house than somewhere you'd want to spend the rest of your days.

Marinette caught one of the workers just outside the side door taking out the trash, a perky looking girl with bright purple eyes and a shock of orange hair. Judging from the way she magicked the trash into the bin, she was a fairy through and through. The name tag pinned to her apron said 'Trixx'.

"Excuse me," Marinette called, pulling her hood away as she got closer. Seeing that she wasn't some type of beggar or hawker, the young woman gave a wry Cheshire smile that lit up her fox-like features. "Can I help you?"

"I'm looking for Plagg, he's supposed to be staying here." Marinette wrung her hands urgently in front of her, eyes darting from side to side in a nervous manner. Time was running out. If she didn't find Plagg... "It's kind of urgent."

Trixx's smile went sour. Clearly she had met Plagg. "Sorry, he was kicked out last week."

Marinette grit her teeth, her frustration growing with ever passing moment. "Do you know where I can find him?"

The worker rested her hands on her hips, cocking one out to the side as she thought before giving a bright, "Nope."

Marinette suddenly felt like the walls of the alleyway were closing in all around her as the light at the end of the tunnel started to go out. "You don't understand. If I don't find him, something terrible will happen."

Trixx scoffed, turning back towards the alleyway door. "Girl, finding Plagg would be something terrible." She slammed the door behind her, and suddenly Marinette felt very cold and filled with a dread that sank into her body and soul. This was her last ditch attempt at breaking the curse. How was she going to be rid of it now? Her throat started to close as an idea dawned on her, one that made her heart break into more pieces than what could ever be mended. She drifted through Lamia Heights until she found a less than quiet coffee house where she could work in anonymous bliss. She tore a few pieces of paper out of her sketchbook along with her quill and ink, then set to work writing the hardest letter of her life.

Once she had deemed it at least partically decent in terms of explanation, she waved down a servant in royal colors. She gave him a gold coin to take the letter straight to Prince Adrien at the palace. If he mentioned the name 'Marinette' to the guards, he was sure to get an audience with his highness so that he could hand off the letter to him. Marinette was sure he could care less about the why, so long as he got his gold coin, but took the letter nonetheless. Moments later, he was galloping off towards the palace, leaving Marinette to ponder in his dust.

Now, if she stayed clear of the prince until midnight had passed, then Adrien would be safe.

But how long could that last?

###

Marinette somehow managed to find Alya amongst the thousands of people littered about the Lamia byways, staring up at the sky as she laid on one of the border walls that separated the walkway from one of the many canals that snaked through the Capital City. She had a piece of grass in her mouth and had her classic pout as she stared frustratedly up at the sky above, as if daring the clouds to cover her sunshine.

"Alya, where have you been?" Marinette fumbled as she cornered her elf friend. The young woman leaned to the side to where she could prop her chin in her hand, chewing on the grass with a curious look in her eye. "What are you doing?"

Alya looked like she was about to answer, but Marinette merely waved her away in a fit of frustration. "Never mind. This may sound strange, but there's something I need you to do for me, Alya."

Judging by how she huffed and puffed all the way out of the city, Alya was struggling to understand what exactly they were doing hiking through a sprawling sunflower patch carrying heavy chains they had stolen off of a sleeping blacksmith's stockpile. When Marinette asked her to padlock her to an old oak situated in the middle of the field, Alya let out a sharp laugh, void of laughter but full of surprise.

"Marinette, I don't know if I've told you this, but you are one freaky chick."

"Yes, yes I know and I'll explain it to you later, but before that I need you to do one more thing for me," Marinette asked urgently of her, chained against the trunk with her hands pinned to her side. She was uncomfortable, that was for sure, but what was a little discomfort when it meant that the love of her life could live to see tomorrow?

Judging by how Alya looked at her with slitted eyes and a hesitant posture as she rocked on her heels, she was starting to have doubts about Marinette's state of mind. "I don't know, girl, is it going to be like the last favor I did for you?" She asked, gesturing to the chains.

"I need you to go back into the forest and gather all the elves and giants you can find," Marinette explained urgently. Surely Alya, along with some back up like Ivan or Nino and his band, could keep Adrien safe and as far away from his father as possible, at least until tomorrow when the spell would wear off and she could explain everything. Coronation balls weren't the real coronation, so missing it wouldn't be a big deal for Adrien, right?

Alya scoffed, gesturing frantically at the forest that was quickly darkening as the sun fell back towards the horizon. "You want me to go back in there?"

"Yes, you'll need all the help you can get. Someone has to get into the castle, find Wayzz, and keep Adrien away from his father," Marinette explained, her heart growing tighter in her chest with every word she spoke. Not only was she a danger to Adrien, but in the ensuing chaos she had forgotten Wayzz back in the library. If the castle guard didn't kill her for whatever happened tonight, Tikki most certainly would whenever she broke the news to her.

"Why?" Alya asked, her voice becoming tinged with concern along with her continuing disbelief. "What's going on?"

Marinette grit her teeth, her jaw working as she went over the situation for what felt like the millionth time. "I already told you, Alya, I can't tell you." Alya opened her mouth, always ready to protest, but Marinette cut her off. "But if you don't do this, you might very well be stuck singing 'Kumbaya' for the rest of your life."

The shock of hearing Marinette scold her, coupled with the horrifying thought of being stuck in show business with no way out, must have outweighed Alya's intrinsic need for self preservation. She let out a long and frustrated sigh, digging her hands into her overall pockets like a tired toddler. "Fine!"

Alya spun on her heel, facing the Forest of Pim where it loomed just beyond the edge of the flower field, her arms now waving about her dramatically. "Into the forest of certain death walks Alya! Will anyone ever see her again? Probably not!"

Marinette smiled, happy to see her rather flamboyant friend still endearingly loyal. "Thank you!" She called, leaning forward to where her voice carried past where she was tied up.

"Yeah, yeah whatever," Alya responded, giving a sharp wave of her hand before she disappeared from Marinette's line of sight. She sighed, leaning back to where her head rested against the tree bark. Maybe now, everything would be okay. Alya would come back with reinforcements, they would protect Adrien, and she would fight to hell and back to keep herself from touching a hair on his head and following the king's horrendous edict. She'd make sure he'd live, even if it meant she never saw his beautiful smile again.