Chapter Twenty One

Four loud bangs pounded my front door.

"Ugh! No!" I turned over on my soft and comfy bed.

The pillow wasn't working as it should because three more bangs penetrated it and invaded my ears. Scratching my arm, I checked my phone on the bedside table. It was 5:27a.m, and the sun wasn't fully visible as yet. The sky had a grey-blue hue, but it was bright enough for you to see outside.

"Ugh! Who would be at the door this hour!" I croaked.

Before I could get up, another knock sounded. "Maliah? Maliah it's me. Open up." Ms Flint said.

I rolled my eyes. Ms Flint never bothered me at such early hours unless it was an emergency. I slipped my feet slowly into my fluffy slippers while summoning the willpower to move off the bed.

"Maliah?" Ms Flint called again.

"Coming..." I grumbled.

The front door seemed much further than usual. My body betrayed my mind because it took me approximately two minutes to meet the door.

"Good morning Ms Flint." I said rubbing my neck. The tension from the horrible couch positions earlier in the week still lingered.

"Goodness!" She held her chest. "Did I wake you?" She eyed my scruffy hair and dim expression.

Was she for real? She practically ran a lawn mower through my apartment with all the knocking she did.

"No not really. I was dreaming."

"Oh..." Ignoring my sarcastic comment, she said, "Is that your mattress in front there?" Her blazing purple acrylic finger pointed towards a cream wall where the floppy mattress laid.

The mattress had turned from cream to brown with small patches of black. I followed Ms Flint as she carefully walked towards it. As we met closer, my nose tingled and itched. A vile smell oozed from it.

I blocked my nose with my hands

I blocked my nose with my hands. The black patches were mold. It was almost two weeks since it had been outside. I forgot about it after Rion brough my new mattress. The weather had really done a number on it.

"Look!" Ms Flint called. "There's something inside it."

I walked around to the side where she stood. A rat had buried itself in the sponge and died.

"Just great!" I folded my arms.

"So... When are you going to remove this thing from here?" Ms Flint asked.

The thought never crossed my mind. I just assumed it would disappear or Ms Flint would have hired someone to take care of it.

"Uh... I don't know." I really didn't know what to do with the unsightly thing.

"Well you need to figure it out. I don't want it too long in front my house. It's a sore sight for good eyes."

Ms Flint made an about turn and climbed her steps. I just stood there in front of the mattress. Then the sudden hum of an old van startled me. The neighbor opposite the street was backing out of his yard.