Chapter 24

Demi

I couldn't stop crying. I know. Shocking. I didn't even know if my tears were happy or sad, honestly. Nick was watching me with worried eyes & I took several deep breaths so I could explain to him why I was crying. He was probably freaking out on the inside. I reached out to touch his face. "I'm fine. Don't worry."

"Why are you sitting here sobbing, then?" He asked, still concerned.

"I put my jeans on & they were kinda tight...." I sighed, trying to steady my voice.

"Are you serious right now, Demi? You're freaking out because you gained a little weight over the holiday? Jesus. You scared me." Nick rolled his eyes, letting out a breath.

"No. I just had a feeling because my pants were tight, so I took a test." I reached up to grab the pregnancy test off the counter. "I'm pregnant." I said in an emotionless tone.

Nick's mouth fell open, then his face lit up & he grabbed my face to kiss me. "Baby! This is amazing news. Why are you crying? Are you upset or happy? I can't tell with these tears, which is making me nervous, I gotta say." Nick words were racing out of his mouth.

I sighed again, my shoulders slumping. "It's probably because I have no idea, myself, why I'm crying. I'm crying for lots of reasons. I'm crying because my pants were tight & I'm barely pregnant & I'm just gonna get bigger. I'm crying because it's happening early. We were gonna wait to start trying until next summer after my tour was over. Now I gotta cancel that part of the tour because I'll be pregnant."

"You've toured while you're pregnant before. You won't be too huge in the spring."

"I'll be big enough to be uncomfortable. And then I'm sad because it's the last one. Now I'm thinking we should have tried for six to make it even." I stuck my lip out & Nick just smiled at me, shaking his head.

"Five is fine."

"But what if this one is another boy?" I whined. "I really want another girl. I want a kid who looks like me."

Nick laughed. "Hey! What's wrong with our kids looking like me? I thought you thought I was cute." He smirked, one eyebrow raised.

I couldn't help but to giggle at him & I leaned to kiss his mouth. "I think you're adorable & our kids are adorable just like you, but I want one to look like me."

"Mercy looks like you."

"Yea because she's a girl."

"Jerry looks like you when he smiles. And Reid.... well he looks like Joe." Nick's eyebrows went up, suspiciously as he flashed a crooked smile at me.

I laughed & shook my head. "He looks like you, but nice try."

"So are you happy that you're pregnant?"

"Yes, I am very happy, which is another reason I was crying. I am ecstatic to be having another one of your babies." My hand was on the side of Nick's face, caressing his cheek as he smiled. "I just wasn't expecting it."

"Well, love, we were having sex. That's kind of how that uh... you know...." Nick chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, I know. But I was taking my temperature & taking the ovulation tests to make sure I wasn't ovulating. And making sure we didn't have sex if I was. Clearly one of those tests was defective."

"Clearly. But I am kinda happy about that." Nick kissed me before he stood up. "Freshen up, babe. We're gonna be late for Joel's party. I'll see ya downstairs. I'm gonna get the kids in the car." He said as he walked toward the door.