Chapter 26

Demi

Our twin girls were due July 3, 2028, just after our first set of twins would turn 9. Nine years apart. I couldn't believe it, actually. Nine years old. Where did the time go? Right after we found out we were having two girls, I started planning the twins birthday party. This year we were having a pony for the kids to ride. Mercy had developed an obsession with horses. My mom started taking her riding a year earlier & she was hooked. The three of us even went riding together before I got pregnant & it was awesome. I loved that time with my mom & my daughter & I know it was a memory I will cherish forever. Mercy was a natural, too. Of course, she started asking for a horse a week later & hasn't shut up since. Nick & I had talked about it, but we decided we wanted her to have lessons for a while & learn all she could about horses before she owned one.

Jerry was into motorcycles. Well, he was into anything with wheels, much to my dismay. Nick had a skating ramp brought in for the party & then there was also a track set up in our front yard & driveway that the kids could ride a small four wheeler that Nick had borrowed from a friend. I just prayed no kids were injured & that no one sued us.

The party was in full swing & I was trying to stay comfortable as I sat & talked to Marissa. I wasn't too huge, but I was as big as I was when I was about to deliver Avery, so I was big enough to be uncomfortable. I was only going to get bigger, too. Marissa was holding London on her lap while we talked.

"So I know you aren't up to anything except writing, but what is Nick doing these days?" Marissa asked.

"He's writing & producing for people. The band might do a tour later this summer & then get to work on a new album." I answered, then made a face at London who giggled like it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen. Minutes later, London hopped off Marissa's lap & ran to play.

"Who's he been working with?"

"Lots of people." I took a deep breath, smiling at Marissa. "He's doing an album for Olivia."

Marissa's eyes got wide. "And you're okay with this?"

"Marissa...." I rolled my eyes. "I trust him." I chuckled.

"Yea, but it's her I would be worried about. Something about her.... I don't know what it is... but I just think she's still in love with him & I don't think it's healthy."

I sighed & shook my head. "So what if she is? That's her problem." I shrugged my shoulders. "Nick is a married man."

"I hope he never forgets it." Marissa smirked.

"I doubt he will forget." I gave her a sideways laugh as I smirked at her.

"Yea, with all these kids running around, it's hard to forget." Marissa laughed, then her face turned serious. "I read this article though in a magazine the other day. It was so sad. Like the woman's relationship with her husband was like yours & Nick's & then they had kids & started growing apart & were so tired all the time... anyway... he started working closely with a woman at work & ended up having an affair & she found out of course & it devastated her. I mean it can happen in any relationship, Dems."

"I know that. But Nick & I have a great relationship."

"Even still?" Marissa asked. "I mean, it's still the same as when you first got married?"

I looked at her & nodded. "Yes. We still talk & love spending time together. Our sex life is still good." Was I trying to convince her or myself?

"How often do you have sex?"

"I don't know. Like it depends. Right now I'm pregnant so it's not as often because I'm huge & exhausted." I could feel myself getting upset for some reason.