1. His Grays

Chapter 1

His Grays

This was bad.

Aida threw some clothes on and in a messy whirlwind rushed down the stairs from her third-floor bathroom, where she'd had the perfect vantage point of a man who had fallen off the lawn mower.

Home alone, she darted out of the house and saw the mysterious man sitting on the ground. He appeared slightly recovered from his fall, but the glisten of sweat along his deep cocoa hair line alerted Aida of his current unsteady state.

"Are you okay?" she asked, while offering him a tender hand up. His gray eyes slowly gazed up from her unpolished nails, up her arm, and then all the way up to meet her concerned face.

"Who are you?" he countered, confusion framing his features. Both seemed to be avoiding the topic of one of them falling off a lawn mower, but neither seemed upset to be keeping off it. There was a strange tension about the air.

"I asked if you were okay," stated Aida, uncertainty replacing her expression. The man took her hand and steadily pulled himself up. "Come in for a minute. I'll get you some water."

He just looked at her as she pulled him inside by his rough hand, the stench of grass and sweaty yard work wafting across her nose. "Sit!"

"I'm okay, you know. I don't need anything," he called from his spot on the couch. His voice matched his hand, rough.

"Thanks for finally answering my question," said Aida, as she briskly walked out of the kitchen and handed him an icy glass of water, pushing her dirty blonde hair behind her ears as she leaned on the counter.

"No problem." He didn't look at her anymore but focused on downing the drink. Aida looked at his eyes, noticing how distinguishable they were. "I should get back outside. I'm not being paid to sit in here." He slowly stood back up, clearly brushing off any pain he felt from the incident, but masking it rather well in a shade of coolness. "You never answered my question," he argued.

His grays met her hazels. "I live here." She took the glass back.

"The old man has a daughter?" he asked as he walked back towards the sliding glass door, sounding puzzled but giving off a bit of a smirk with his playful tone.

"Why yes he does – two actually. I'm Aida." She reached her hand out for a second time, intending a handshake. He took it gingerly.

"Well it's nice to meet you Aida." He left with a swift pull of his dirty jeans and a closing of the door. She didn't even get the chance to ask if he'd seen her naked, but she was perfectly okay with never knowing the answer to that rather embarrassing question. The nakedness and the lawn mower falling balanced each other out in her mind.

Aida returned to the kitchen, offput by the encounter, but determined to clean the grass stains off the couch that Mr. Lawnmower had left.

She rinsed the glass off and glanced out the window over the sink, watching him try to start the machine again. She admired the simplicity of his plain white T-shirt, as she suddenly realized she hadn't finished getting ready herself. After cleaning off the tan leather couch with a rag, she returned to her bathroom to begin getting herself ready for the day.

Returning to her usual morning contemplation, Aida left the window open to listen to the sound of the lawn mower. She stole a few peeks out the window, but nothing was returned besides the distant smell of mowed grass.

Aida wasn't sure how to think about the incident, but let it wash over her mind. She enjoyed getting ready; putting her make up on and doing her hair was her time to focus on the day. When she finished, she walked back to the window and actually looked through it rather than at it, like she normally would, and something slightly changed. She didn't know what, but couldn't help but notice Mr. Lawnmower cast an eye upwards. 

---

A/N: Hello lovelies! Thanks for reading! Please take a moment to vote/comment (I'm sure you have sooooomething on your mind). Take this next moment to remember that you're going to have the best day/night (just because I said so!)

PS I know my grammar is a tad rusty from being on break and will probably go through and fix some of the tenses and whatnot soon. Also, chapters will be getting longer after this!!

Dedicated to AJ_Mardlin because I want you to read "Loving Lola" after you finish mine! :)

Enjoy! xx