Chapter 16: The Inti

The next morning, as the sun dawned over the distant mountains and poured its warm rays into the safehouse, a stiff breeze wafted in and awoke the party, except for Leif and Astrapi. When Qasikay stood up, they stirred.

"Good morning," said Qasikay, to no one in particular.

"Morning, Qas," said Astrapi. "Looks like the drink wasn't too much for you."

"I have never been better," said Qasikay. "Did you all sleep well?"

Weak but affirmative mumbles came from all over the safehouse.

"Let go," said Qasikay. "I mean, let us go."

After waiting patiently through a quick breakfast, she led the group back onto the road further into Inti territory. As they marched, she sang a pretty song in her native tongue.

"She sure is happy to be back," said Astrapi.

"Wouldn't you be?" replied Caldus.

"Normally, ya. But we haven't seen anyone yet. Just mountains and roads."

"Maybe she missed her mountains and roads."

"Sure, maybe. Imagine how excited she'll be when we find real people."

For a few more hours, the group walked tirelessly. The mist obscured any landmarks, but Qasikay showed no sign of uncertainty.

"Stop a minute," said Leif.

Everyone halted and turned to Leif. He raised his nose to the air and sniffed plaintively.

"There's something good to eat a little off the road." he said. "I think it's feline. I'm going after it. Caldus, would you come along?"

"Sure," said Caldus. "I need to keep my skills sharp. Astrapi, may I have some electric arrows?"

"Sure thing, baby," said Astrapi.

Caldus glared at him.

"Sorry," he said. "How many do you want?"

"Give me... three."

"Alright. Let's see... summon spell: Charge. Charge, group transfer: finger array Omega. Group set... uh... six quadrillion. Assign Trigger: contact. Got your arrows?"

"Here," said Caldus, holding up three broadhead arrows. "Steel-tipped."

"Excellent." As smoothly as though he were playing a lyre, Astrapi touched one finger of his left hand onto the tip of each arrow, imbuing them with his charge.

With monosyllabic thanks, Caldus slid the arrows into a wood-lined pocket of her quiver.

"Zoltána, you're invited too," said Leif.

"Would I help at all?" said Zoltána.

"Um... I suppose if the prey got anywhere close..."

"I'll stay, thanks."

"Alright. We won't be long."

"Lead the way," said Caldus.

With that, Leif began away from the path, occasionally stopping to kneel and sniff the ground before bounding off in a new direction.

"So," began Caldus, who jogged easily behind him. "Are you and Zoltána finally together?"

"Yes. How did you know?"

"You slept in the same cot last night, which you've never done before. Besides, she must weigh at least two hundred and fifty pounds, and you invited her to a tiger hunt. There had to be an ulterior reason for that."