Chapter 26: Homeward

Days after the battle, an aging pyromancer with green beads in her black hair sat down on a tree stump, tome spread out on her lap. In slow, carefully chosen words, she explained an advanced spell to a group of young magic-users who sat around her like children listening to a story.

Caldus was one of them. She had not been part of the battle. Along with Vladimir and Ellis, she had stood back, waiting to be called upon when the next disaster struck Zoltána's crew. Then the stone giant had appeared and made it needless. Without a fight to keep her skills sharp, Caldus had turned to the pyromancer and her rare, precious tome to teach her something new.

"They're here!" cried someone on the outskirts of camp.

Caldus reached for her bow.

"It's Inti!" said the voice. "That priest girl is back!"

Stowing her bow, Caldus made for the highest peak in the mercenary camp. There, Zoltána stood with Leif. As Caldus ran up to them, Ellis, Vladimir and Astrapi gathered with them.

From the high point, Caldus saw a dozen Inti, all women, walking back to the valley. Squinting, she managed to differentiate them, seeing two of them to be priestesses, one of whom walked with broadening smile and a victorious stride. Beside her was Qasikay, her face set in a slack, wide-eyed portrait of horror and confusion. Qasikay pointed to Zoltána, and the Inti group made for them.

"Qasikay," said Zoltána, as they approached, "it's good to see you. We've been needing a translator for days now." She hesitated. "And are you well?"

"Our mission was a success," said Qasikay listlessly. "The Aqoyraki worked like an instrument of the gods should. Have you seen any walkers here?"

"No."

"Good." Qasikay turned to her fellow priestess and said something, then said to Zoltána, "Come with us. We're going to see the emperor."

"Caldus, can you assume command while we're away?" said Zoltána.

"I'm not much of a commander," replied Caldus.

"You won't need to be. Only keep the warriors together."

"I can do that. Let me know what the city is like, Astrapi."

"Count on it, baby," he said.

"Don't call me that."

Down the hill, Qasikay returned to the Inti group, followed by Zoltána, Leif, Astrapi, Vladimir and Ellis, along with three others who felt brave enough to come with. As they began down the barren slope into the city in the valley, Zoltána hunched her shoulders, ducking rifle balls that no longer flew.

"The war is won, I think," said Qasikay. "I never thanked you."

"You're welcome," said Leif warmly. "It's a miracle we got here as early as we did."

"I don't see what you needed us for," said Zoltána. "Why didn't you use that giant statue from the beginning?"

"The Aqoyraki can only be used once. And only a few people knew about it."

"So what happens now?" asked Ellis.

Qasikay looked back at him, whom she had never seen before. "After this," she said, "We might collect the spoils of war. We'll try to learn from your walkers. Maybe we'll build our own."

"As soon as we establish contact between here and our homeland, you could buy it instead," said Zoltána. "Gods know there will be someone willing to sell it."

"Speaking of gods," threw in Astrapi, "Your gods finally did their duty, right? They gave you that statue and saved you."

The grimness in Qasikay's eyes became sharp. "The Aqoyraki was real, yes. But answer me this. Is my family alive?"