Chapter Five

The light summer breeze gently caressed my face as I speed-walked home that afternoon. The whole day at 6th form I was edgy and kept away from certain people. Especially Shannon; she was always after me, knocking down my books and what-not, so I steered clear of her.

I heard heavy footsteps behind me so I quickly glanced back to see a boy approaching with a hood over his head. I gulped and quickened my pace. As I turned the corner he carried on walking ahead. I sighed in relief. That morbid feeling of paranoia would not cease. Ever since Dean returned I've been dreading to leave the house, but I had to for the sake of my education. I looked out for Renae aswell. She had been asking to go to the park lately but I had to reject the whole idea.

I soon arrived home and slammed the door. Beatrice was bewildered by my entrance. She put the duster down and scrutinised me closely.

"Miss Jones, are you okay?"

I inhaled deeply and locked the door. "Yes. Yes I'm fine."

To avoid any further questions I darted upstairs and put my things away. I had a lot of coursework to do, but for the first time ever I didn't get straight down to it. Instead, I headed to the study where I knew Nae would be. Surely enough she was on the Mac playing online games. 

"Renae."

She turned to me and frowned. "What took you so long?"

I smiled nervously at that. The way I rushed home was a miracle. "I actually thought I was quite quick."

She shook her head and showed her watch. "Uh uh. You're 15 minutes later than you always are. What do you have to say for yourself young lady?"

I laughed lightly. "I came to say hello. How was school?" 

"Fun! We done finger-painting!" I nodded, wishing my work was that simple. "Kimmy, remember when you promised we would go to the park and I could have a big ice-cream, with loooaaaaddds of sprinkles?"

My eyes darted from left to right. I did remember, but I wanted to stay inside where it was safe and away from killers who were out to get us. "Not today." 

"What do you mean? You promised!" Her frowned deepened. 

"Maybe another day." When we're not being hunted down. "This current week we're all busy, so maybe next week, okay?"

"No! You're not meant to break your promises."

I sighed and turned to the clock. It was now quarter past four. "Where's Dean?" She shrugged. "Taylor?" She shrugged again and I rolled my eyes. "What about Derrell?" She shrugged once more.

I looked at the clock again, now biting my lip pensively. Would it be too risky? Is this the right thing to do? I mean, I can't stay in here forever...  

I finally came to my conclusion. "Alright, I'll call Lionel." 

"YAY!" She jumped up and began her victory dance. I retrieved my phone from my pocket and dialled Lionel's number, waiting patiently. He answered quickly.

"Miss Jones. How are you this lovely day?" 

"Stressed. Where are you, may I ask?" 

"Circling."

I sighed. "Right. Erm, Renae and I wish to go to the park." 

"I see. I'll be there in the next five minutes madam." 

"Thank you. Bye." 

I hung up and Renae tilted her head slightly. 

"The park just down the road, Kimmy, we don't need Lion to take us."