Chapter 4: Redemption

MONJI'S POV

I woke up in a cold sweat, guilty for what I had said and done to Khadijah at the masjid. Leaving her upset, hopeless, and desperate despite being completely innocent is the most haram thing that I have done, and to stay seated and not do anything increased the weight on my shoulders. I decided, then and there, that I would buy her a new car. After all, I've got the money, the resources, the time, and the room to just get her a new one. I mean, if this was all about her car being broken, getting her a new one would solve everything and maybe she would see the good in me again.

It being Sunday, the downtown auction was being held, and this week happened to be car week! I quickly got dressed in my Armani black vest and matching pants, paired with my Gucci underwear and belt. I slipped on my Prada shoes, slicked back my hair that all the Muslimahs swoon over, and head out the door.

I got to the auction, where I found all of the bidders wearing muddy jeans, plaid button ups, and cowboy hats. Ya Allah, why are all of these men so low?

I decided to ignore the common population and head into the auctioning site, where laid my eyes upon the most perfect car for my dear sister Khadijah. It was a little shabby, but a tad bit of work would bring it back to life.

I sat down at the car's bidding section as soon as the man began announcing the auction. I was desperate for the car, and to have anyone take it would be the biggest mistake I'd ever made, right after humiliating Khadijah at the mosque.

"Alright... let's start this off at 500 dollars! 500 dollars, can I get a 500 dollars- and yes! we've got 520 dollars! Can I get 550 dollars? 550 dollars!"

"I'll take it for 750 dollars!"

"Alright! We got 750 dollars! Can anyone top 750 dollars?"

I had to bid something. I was sweating... men from left and right were yelling bids higher than I imagined. I had to say something... all of these voices were pressuring me to do something.

I thought of Khadijah, and how much she needed this car. I felt myself stand up, and soon shout, "20..."

The auctioneer turned his face. "20... hundred?"

"THOUSAND!" I felt myself yell out. The crowd gasped at my words. I felt my face redden immensely as I realized the extent of my words.

"20,000 dollars it is! Sir, please come up here so we can chat about paperwork and payment."

The crowd groaned as they began to leave their seats; I even saw a man shake his fist at me. But that didn't matter. As long as the car was mine... I mean... Khadijah's... then everything was going to be okay.

After discussing payment and signing off on the paperwork, the car was mine. I called up my friend to let him know that the deal was sealed. He agreed to come with me to Michael's to pick out the paint and designs for her new car. Ten minutes later, my best halal friend, Abdullah Abdi Abdus Salam Anwar Asif Brahim Dareen showed up in an Uber.

"Salamalaikumwarahmatullahiwabarakatuhu, Abdullah Abdi Abdus Salam Anwar Asif Brahim Dareen. Thanks for helping me out bruh, I couldn't have done it without you."

"Yeah man, no problem. Anything to help my broski get wifed up." he replied.

We then drove off to Michael's, the craft heaven. With aisles of ribbon, cloth, jewels, markers, canvases, clay, room decor, birdhouses, wood, glue, paint, fake flowers, paint brushes, you could find anything here.

I made a mental shopping list to get paint, stickers, and decals for the car. We walked into the paint section, where I then spotted a bright flamingo pink paint just waiting to be painted onto her car. Without taking another glance, I knew bright pink was the perfect color for her. Spunky, girly, and yet tender, I knew she would love her car this color. I also grabbed black paint so I could write her name above the headlights on the back.

We gravitated across the aisles, where I did a double take at the stickers. I spotted the most amazing and colorful flower stickers and decals. I grabbed 10 different packs of flower stickers and threw them into the cart. I quickly grabbed a ginormous white bow to present the gift to her. The final thing I needed was poster board to make my apology letter. After the cart had everything I needed, we paid for the items, and made our way to my house.

As soon as we got to my house, we began working on the car.

__ timeskip__

Hours passed, and we finally finished the car. The sheen of the pink car against the reflective flower stickers and decals was absolutely beautiful. Her name was perfectly calligraphed on the back of the car in black, making it pop. All I could see was her in the car. She would love it.

The note read:

Dear Sister Khadijah Kelthoum Bent Hamid Moez abou Radhia bent Molka-Aymen Ibn Hassaan Oumaya bent Soumaya Samia Haj-Ezedine,

I am truly sorry about the car exploding. It was never my intention to have this happen to anybody, especially you. Given your financial situation, I understand completely that it is my responsibility to take care of the expenses of the repairs, and to fix the situation as soon as possible.

Because the damages of the car were so extensive, I have made the decision to purchase you a new one. I have worked very hard on refining the designs of the vehicle, while also keeping the key components of it visible. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for humiliating you at the masjid after driving a borrowed car, that was entirely my fault in the end.

-Monji ben Sadek

I felt so good about this gift that I needed to give it to her as soon as possible. I slipped the note into the passenger seat and drove to Baker park. Abdullah Abdi Abdus Salam Anwar Asif Brahim Dareen followed behind in my car so that I could have a way to get back home.

As soon as we arrived at the park, I had to figure out a way to get Khadijah to come without her suspecting anything (or completely rejecting me). I realized that if I made it seem like an emergency, she would surely come.

I called her cell, but she didn't pick. I called again, and Alhamdulilah she picked up.

"Salam Monji. What's up?"

"Khadijah! This is an emergency... is there anyway you can get to Baker park as soon as possible?" I said, exaggerating a scared voice.

She gasped. "What's wrong? What happened?"

I replied, "There's no time to explain. I need you here though!" I quickly hung up so as to build the suspense. I already sensed her coming.

Minutes later, she arrived in a taxi, looking completely worn out and shaken up. I snuck up behind her and covered her eyes. Seeing as she wasn't really into that romance stuff, she got the wrong idea, and smacked me right in the hand. She turned around.

"What happened Monji? Was this a compete lie? You tricked me, didn't you? I was so scared Monji what the heck!"

"Yo, yo, I'm okay, I just wanted you here to show you something," I started to feel emotional, but concealed it like Elsa did in Frozen.

"Bro, who's car is that?? What kind of bimbo would drive a car like that?" she suddenly exclaimed, obviously out of the previous state of shock.

I followed her eyes to where she was referencing. The shock hit me like a ton of bricks.

She was talking about the car I got her.

______

Author's note:

Sorry for the long update wait times. As 3 primary writers, we have a lot to do like school, bach, and ramadan! Eid Mubarak everyone! Enjoy.