Dance, Dance

~~

"I don't understand why people go to stuff like this. There's no drugs and they don't play real music." I said as I sat down on the end of Peggy's bed. Her baby yellow-themed room was kind of sickening, but she's my best friend, so I had to deal with it.

"And what's your definition of real music?" Peggy countered. She leaned towards her vanity mirror to get a better look at the earrings she was sticking through the small holes in her ears.

I shrugged. "I don't know... Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy, stuff like that."

Peggy let out a soft giggle as she stood up from her stool. "Yeah, well I think you're the only one around her that listens to "stuff like that"." She replied, putting finger quotes around my words.

"Then I guess I'm the only person with real music taste around here."

I watched as Peggy sauntered her way over to her closet and pulled out some folded articles of clothing. She made her way to the bathroom down the hall and closed the door behind her, leaving me to sit in her childish room alone.

I looked around the room, admiring the little trinkets that had made the room hers. I realized how similar Peggy's room was to all of the others in this town; the size, shape, furniture placement, they were all the same for each house.

It wasn't just the rooms that were the same, but the entire house. Each house on every street looked the same. They all were white boxes with flat roofs and white picket fences. The only thing different were the way the homeowners decided to decorate the interiors. Runako has very little individuality, and that, for the most part, is why I want to get the hell out of here.

Peggy emerged from the bathroom and stood in the doorway of her room. "So, what do you think? Does this say "fall festival" or what?" She did a little twirl, showing off her outfit. It wasn't too flashy. Then again, neither was Peggy. She wore an oversized, tan, knitted sweater with plain, black leggings and black flats. Her curly hair was resting on her small shoulders, and her makeup looked very natural.

I didn't want to dress up, so I was wearing my regular black, long sleeve t-shirt with black, ripped jeans and an old pair of converse.

"You look great, now can we go?" She shrugged and turned to head towards the front door.

**

The high school gym reeked of pumpkin and teenage hormones. I nearly gaged at the way a large group of people were "dancing" in a circle, but really they were just jumping with their fists in the air. I could barely hear my own thoughts over whatever popular techno song they were playing through the speakers.

"I need a cig, I'll be back." I shouted so that Peggy could hear me.

"Come on, we just got here! And you had one in the car." She grabbed my wrist and dragged me over to an empty table in the back corner. I didn't try to run for it, because I knew she'd wind up catching me anyway. I sat obediently and watched the other people mingle and dance as the same five songs played over the speakers. But the crowd seemed to form a circle around one person.

"I'll be in the restroom if you need me." Peggy told me as she stood up and started towards the exit. I took that as my opportunity to see what all the fuss was about on the dance floor.

I get up to the circle and stand on my toes to get a better look. There was one guy jumping around in the middle as everyone watched. I guess he was just jumping better than everyone else, but to me it didn't look much different from what the others were doing. He wore a dark green, long sleeve t-shirt, blue jeans, black sneakers, and his long, brown hair was up in a ponytail. His deep, chocolate eyes met mine for a split second before my gaze shifted to hide the fact that I was staring.