I Miss Missing You

~~

"Wait, so let me get this straight-" Peggy started, sitting up on her bright yellow bed. I sat in a small, white beanbag chair across the room.

"It's pretty gay, but go on," I interrupted. She sent me a glare that told me to shut up without having to make a sound. I held my hands up in mock surrender and waited for her to continue.

"So Alex, the guy you met on Saturday, is your soulmate? I didn't even know there was such thing as gay soulmates..." she trailed off. "I guess that part doesn't really matter, because you found your soulmate! This is great news!"

Peggy did a little victory dance with her arms, but I sat there with my head resting in the palm of my hand. She must have noticed my unenthusiastic state, because she then asked, "What's wrong? This is great news, isn't it?"

I shrugged my shoulders and released a heavy sigh. "Not really."

She furrowed her eyebrows together in confusion. "Why not, he's your soulmate. I'd be thrilled if my soulmate was that good looking."

I chuckled a bit at her comment, but fell back into my slump. "I don't know, I guess it's just... I care about him, okay? I don't want to see him get hurt in the long run."

"I guess that makes sense. But don't you want to find love? Be happy? I don't know, live a little?"

I actually considered what Peggy was proposing, but I was living. I had people who cared for me, people who hated me, and a shit-ton of memories that I wouldn't trade for the world. Was there really more to life that I was missing out on?

"Peggy, I'm fine. The only thing I want from this life that I was stuck with, is to be able to spend my last few days away from this shithole of a town." I sighed. "I don't need a soulmate."

"Fine, whatever, don't listen to me, but remember me on your d-day when you're dying  and you realize your life sucked." With that, Peggy stood up from her bed and sat her hands on her hips. "Now, do you want anything to eat? I'm starving."

"Actually..." I trailed off as I dug around in my pocket, pulling out the money I had gotten from Thomas earlier that day. "Can we go out for lunch?"

Peggy's eyes widened at the sight of cash in my hands, but she soon turned her surprised expression into one of anger. She glared daggers into my skull and asked, "Are you selling Thomas drugs again?"

I stood up from the beanbag and shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. The world may never know."

She rolled her eyes as she grabbed her keys from her nightstand and led me outside to her car.

* * *

Peggy drove to the 50s themed diner that the both of us would always go to whenever we had the chance. We knew everyone who worked there, and everyone knew us.

We walked into the diner side-by-side and were escorted to our usual booth. There was a small jukebox that sat on the end of the table, up against a large window that overlooked the parking lot.

The hostess handed us our menus and left to retrieve a waitress. Peggy and I didn't even need to look at our menus because we always ordered the same thing.

A girl with long, dark hair and fair skin approached our table with a pen and pad in hand. She clicked her pen and pressed the point against a clean note page, and then she greeted us. "Hi, I'm Eliza, and I'll-"

"Wait, Eliza?" Peggy asked in confirmation, but the waitress simply raised a single, delicately groomed eyebrow and nodded. "I'm sorry, can you give us a moment? We're not quite ready to order yet."