The Beginning

Brittany

I was in my cell, fiddling with a piece of wire that I snagged from Brianna. It would have been easier to use my Gen, but unfortunately I have this armband that keeps me from using it. It was basically a black thing around my arm. That the guards could easily disable and turn back on the function that was stopping me from using my power. One thing you should learn is that never disobey a rule or else that you get shocked. Really bad, I saw someone who had to be carried to the infirmary.

Then I hear my cell door slid open, I immediately stood up. A girl was pushed in, who stumbled. I quickly tried to catch her, but we both fall to the ground instead. Then she was on top of me. Her hair was splat on my face.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" She said and tried to get up but slipped falling on top of me again.

I groaned and went up into sitting position myself. This time was easier for her to get up. Then she went to the kneeling position. I laughed while putting a knee up to put my arm at rest. "It's all good. So tell me how does someone like you got in here?"

This girl was attractive I can say that. She has light brown that was in a messy braid and dark brown eyes. She was also wearing a newbie uniform. It was basically a thin blue prison suit. Since I have been here longer, I got two prison suits. One for the winter and the other for the summer. Plus I can choose the colors. Since we're just 5% of the population, we get decent prisons that keeps us here.

"I should probably introduce myself first." She said. "I'm Taylor."

"My name is Brittany. Nice to meet you Taylor." I look over her once more to notice the armband that was on her left arm which was facing me. "Now back to my question, how did you get in here?'

"I'm part of one of the many rebel groups My group is about fighting for equal rights to Gen people.  We were doing a peaceful protest, but suddenly guards came and started arresting people." Taylor looked down at her fingers which were fidgeting. "I was one of the unlucky ones."

I put a hand on her arm as way to comfort her. "Sorry that happened to you."

"I think I'll be fine here." Then she lifted her eyes to look into mine. Wow her eyes are really pretty. Reminds me of chocolate that are swirling. "How did you get in here?"

"Well, it wasn't a major event in which I was arrested. First my house was on fire for some reason." I retraced my hand from her arm. Then I saw her mouth opened as she wanted to say something but I have already dealt with this a long time. "Then I wasn't counted for. I was basically 'dead.' After that I was in the run for a few years. Then I got arrested and brought here."

"What did you do on the run?" Taylor asked. She looked very interested in my life story. Even though I haven't been around anywhere that long. Then she looked down at my arm which had the armband on. "What kind of Gen do you have?"

"Then what kind of Gen do you have?" I rose an eyebrow.

She rose an eyebrow in response as well. "I asked the question, so you're obligated to answer my questions first?"

"Then which one do you want me to answer first?" I switched into a cris-crossed-applesauce position to be more comfortable on the hard ground.

"What kind of Gen do you have?" She answered with that question.

Before I could say anything, I rudely interrupted by the work alarm. Other people call it the 'Death Alarm' to be more dramatic. I sighed as I was getting up.

"What's that?" She asked as she getting up as well.

"The Death Alarm." I said calmly while she looked alarm. With those eyes widened. I chuckled in response but covered it with my hand. "Sorry, don't worry it's just the work alarm. Dramatic people called it the 'Death Alarm.'

"You should be careful on your first day. I will take you under my wing for now. But you will need to be able to fend for yourself." The cell door was already slide open. 

I had to walk across the entire prison campus to get to my station. My job is to do the machinery that the guards use. Apparently there were rumors that there is a war going on in the Southwestern District. I looked at the checklist next to the entry/exit door. It says that we're doing guns. 

I sighed in response. Then Taylor startled me by asking question making me flinch. "What does it mean we're doing guns?"

I gestured her to follow back, before turning to go to my station. "It means that we're fixing or making guns. Basically my station is fix or make."

"Does that mean you do both?" She asked in astonishment. I nodded in response. I don't really see why, the dudes I know are really expert at this stuff. They gave a tip or two while I was staying with them. 

"Come on, I will teach the basics of what you need to learn." My station was one of the biggest in this workroom. It wasn't that big than a regular station, but it can fit one more person in here. I used to my key to open the door. 

I put my armband to the scanner next to it to release the disable of the function. My Gen isn't much use, but it's something I do anyway. Taylor follow suite. 

I show her the basic parts to the energy gun that needed assembling. I told her if she had any questions she could ask. I started to work on the part to fix. It was the basics of wiring placement. 

As I got into the rhythm of working, I looked over to Taylor who is staring intently at the pieces on the desk. Then a stray of hair fell from her braid, she mindlessly brushed it away. As if she sensed me staring at me, she looked up from her work with those beautiful brown eyes. I quickly looked down at my work. 

When finally the lunch alarm sounded, I put down the last finished fixed gun. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone! This is my entry to #WattPride! I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for reading!