Part 5 of Middle

Taylor

I looked over the controls that determines our fate right here and now.

I looked over to Britt who was looking over he manual and telling me which one to press. The process of getting the cells to open and security system turn off had to be a sequence of buttons.

If we mess up the sequence then the system would automatically lock shut down. Keeping us trap here forever until we figure out how to do that sequence.

To do the sequence there five control buttons all each are a different color. The colors were red, green,  yellow, blue, purple, and pink.

"This time press the blue button five times." Britt said and I knew that she was working hard as much I was. I press said button five times. Britt told me we're really close to the end of the sequence which is a relief for me.

"What next?" I asked looking back at her. She had pulled out a chair and table to put the book. Her hair was tied in a loose ponytail. She was breathing heavily as well. "Are you okay?"

She looked up to me with those glimmering green eyes. "Yeah it has been awhile I have used my Gen even though I have trained myself to hold my breath for three minutes."

"You have been using your Gen all this time?" I asked. I know that we're running out of time and that Britt must have known too. 

"Yea, we can talk about that later." She took a deep breath before continuing. "The last thing you would need to do is that you press the green button two times and the pink button six times."

"One, two." I counted as I pressed the green button. Then I went to the pink button and counted how many times I pressed it which was six times. "One, two, three, four, five, and six!"

When the final button was pressed. A green on top of the screens turned on. Signaling we got it right.

I turned back to face Britt who smiled at me. And I smiled back.