Chapter Seven

"When good friends fight, it's not about who wins/looses. It's about who forgives, forgets and still wants to be friends."

Eleanor put a chip into her mouth. As she chewed, she closed her eyes to savour the flavour.

When her eyelids fluttered open, she saw Jesse and some other footballers enter the cafeteria and her eyes grew as big as the globe.

She shifted uncomfortably and Blaire, who was seated opposite, noticed.

"You okay there Elle?" she asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Peachy!" was all Eleanor could get out.

Just as she was about to grab another chip from her tray, another hand reached down and collected the exact chip she was craving. Eleanor looked up to see the face of her 'boyfriend.'

She noted that everyone looked at her expectantly and Marinella had lost all the colour in her face.

"What are you doing here?" Cornelia asked Jesse.

"I think Eleanor can answer your question... Cornelia, is it?" Jesse asked rudely as he pulled a chair from a neighbouring table and sat down.

"Yeah, it's Cornelia. Uh, Eleanor, why is this creep close enough to contaminate my personal breathing space right now?"

"Well... um.... you see, we, uh... sort of got back together this morning."

"From the time the words left Eleanor;s lips, Marinella began choking.

"What!? Have you lost your freaking mind? Why the hell would you get back with him after what he did to you?" she asked when she recovered.

"I don't know Marinella. Maybe it was the same reason you went with him behind my back!"

"That was a mistake!" Marinella defended.

"All five times!? Do you think I'm as dumb as you are?"

"At least I wasn't dumb to go back with him after he slept with a fourteen year old. At least I was 'smart' enough to realize that he was just using me!" Marinella screamed catching everyone's attention. The other high-schoolers who had eventually stopped to listen let out a few "ooo's" and gasps.

"Why are you such a bitch!" Eleanor said as she threw her soda in Marinella's face.

Marinella, who was caught off-guard, was left too spellbound to do anything.

Eleanor raised from her seat and stormed out of the cafeteria. She stopped suddenly when she realized she didn't know where she was going. She got so caught up in fighting with Marinella that she didn't think out what would happen after all of this was over.

"Eleanor! Wait up!" she heard a faint voice in the background. She turned a found that it was Blaire running towards her.

When Blaire reached Eleanor, she was almost out of breath.

"Wow girl, you should start thinking about joining the track team!" she exclaimed, her breath hitched.

"Maybe. Why are you here?" Eleanor asked.

"I'm here because you're my friend and I care about you enough to tell you that you were wrong to jump down Marinella's throat like that."

"Excuse me? She was wrong! Eleanor said folding her arms across her chest.

"She was wrong because she tried to help you? Or was it because she was looking out for you?"

"Did you not hear what she said? She made it sound as though I was some desperate slut!"

"Eleanor I understand why you're still angry with her for going with Jesse behind your back and all, but this time you were wrong. I'm going back at the table with her and Cornelia. You're free to join us whenever you like and I hope to see you at the sleepover tomorrow. Bye," Blaire said and walked off back in the direction leading to the cafeteria.

Eleanor rolled her eyes as Blaire's back was facing her. She eventually turned and walked in the other direction.

"Like I care," she said, not caring whether or not Blaire would hear her. As far as she was concerned, they could all go hump a tree.