Chapter 23

I ran back to my trailer that I bought in the 70's. I had parked it and my truck in the woods. A trailer was the perfect choice for someone like me. A house that can move when you do since you can't stay in one place for to long a time since you don't get older. And you never have to move all your stuff. This was my home for almost 40 years. It was the year 2009. I laid down in my camper for a moment wondering if I should sleep. I hadn't slept in almost 24 hours and I did need need it.

        I closed my eyes and drifted asleep. I hated sleeping. It was the one time that I did feel guilt. The time that I saw everything that I was. I mostly dreamed of my brothers. Every few years I would look for them to make sure that they were okay. I still desperately wanted them to remember me. But Emily had told me that the spell could be undone but she died over a hundred years ago. Plus, the Emma they knew back then was long gone.

        I was alone in the world. Most times, I was fine with that. I mostly switched off the guilt. The guilt I felt for my brothers, for Anna, whom I had not seen since that night, the people who I have hurt and the people I had killed. Sleep was the guilts only escape.

        In my dream, I stood in front of my two brothers but neither looked as if they remembered me. Then their expressions changed into ones of love and hurt. They came towards me with open arms. I stood there waiting but to find that they ran right past me and threw themselves into another womans arms behind me. I was hurt on so many levels but the wound that cut me deepest was the fact that the woman that they had run to, was Katherine.

        I woke up in a start. Breathing heavily I looked at the clock. around 4 in the afternoon. It was something about my dream that gave me this feeling that I wanted to go back home. I hadn't been there since the night I left. I wonder how it has changed?

        I jumped out of bed and ran out the door and into the drivers side of the truck. "Okay, baby. Let's go home."