The Unknown Potter

The first thing I remember is a scream. It sounded like my father's voice, but I had never heard his voice raised. It was soon followed by my mother's. I was only 7 months old, so, how was I supposed to know something bad had happened that night? Now though, I hate that day. It's the day I lost my mother, father, and my elder brother. Don't get me wrong, he isn't dead. He is very much alive. You might know him actually. He is "The-Boy-Who-Lived", but his friends call him Harry Potter. Everyone knows how he went to family, but no one knew who. While he went to one side of the family for his "Love Protection", I went to the other. Though nobody cared about me, nobody knew about me. Not even my own godfather, Severus Snape. Well, that's enough background for now, I'll fill you in more about that in a little bit my beloved diary. You probably want to hear about what is going on now. Well, my brother is a Gryffindor and is in his second year. I am a first year, Slytherin. Though, nobody knows I'm a Potter. Everyone thinks my name is just Jennifer Lilivan. See, my last name is redacted from all paperwork. And when I was sorted into Slytherin, they all thought I was Muggleborn or something. It was difficult, but I proved I was meant to be there and that I was indeed a Half-blood. Now I am called Ms. Lily cause Lilivan is long. That got me a few odd looks cause I was "cutting my last name short". I had to explain to the staff and Slytherin's that it is not my last name, it is my middle, and that as far as I knew, they weren't going to know my last name. Well, after I had explained that to everyone I thought needed to know, I found you. Just laying in the hallway. Anyways, you are mine now. And you are the only one in this school who knows my name. And I have a secret I want to tell you. You are the only friend I have. My housemates don't count, they are acquaintances. And none of the other students want to get near me because I'm a Slytherin. But I guess I don't mind..yup, I don't mind at all that my brother gets all the glory, that he has friends..they are even known as the Golden Trio.., no..all I need is myself. That's how it's been since I was 7 months old. Well, 7 months and a few days. That's when I was found..but I don't want to cry right now. Anyways, potions is fun. Professor Snape just looks at me funny every once in a while because I look like my mother, except I have James' eyes, while Harry has Lily's and looks like James. But he isn't overly nice to me, nor is he outright rude, so I guess it's fine. I have a good grade in the class so far, and it seems pretty easy-going. Oh yeah! There are kids being petrified around school! Everyone thinks it's Harry doing it since he can speak snake, but it's not him. I know it's not. It's me. They don't know it, because I do it in secret. I don't have her hurt anyone though. We just play hide and seek. Though, she can't seem to petrify me. So I guess I'm immune. Maybe it's cause she bit me when I first found her. I'm not quite sure. But I do know that she is a cuddler. I should probably get going, I'll write to you soon. ~ J. L. P.
As soon as I finish my first entry in my diary, I stretch and get up from the Chamber floors. I pet Basil's scales and then go up to the bathroom. Nobody questions me leaving the bathroom, since I'm a girl. I walk down the hall to see the second message, I remember seeing the first message on Halloween, " The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir...Beware". I didn't really think much of it since I'm the one who opened the Chamber. But this one is a little creepy, "Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever". Why would my skeleton lie in the Chamber? It must be a trick someone is playing...does someone know it's me? I walk to my Common Room a bit more carefully, but I run into Harry and the gang. Why are they coming from this direction though?
"Lilivan, why are you here?" Weasley asked with quite a sneer. He would have been a great Slytherin with a sneer like that. "I'm going to my Common Room. Why are you here Weasley?"
"We are looking for his sister, have you seen her? She is in your year." Harry.. why does he sound so concerned? Why can't he be concerned about me like that? " No, I haven't. Have you checked the courtyard or perhaps your Common Room? Cause she isn't in the bathroom, I was just there."
He looks to Granger and she shrugs. "Thank you Lily, we'll check our Common Room." Granger always calls me that, I give her a smile and walk past them, though it doesn't go unnoticed that Harry watches me as I leave.. I hear Weasley muttering about not trusting a sneaky snake like me. As soon as I'm in the Common Room, Draco walks up to me and asks where I've been. "None of your business Malfoy. Goodnight." He looks at me with slight offense and watches as I walk to my room.  Once I'm alone, my diary starts to glow. I smile and open the book to see writing start appearing on the page. "It is lovely to hear from you again my dear, I am truly sorry to hear about your rough beginning to Hogwarts and your sad beginning to life. I hope your day hasn't been too disastrous. And even though this isn't the first time we have spoken of a few of these things, I am glad you trust me with such information." I love my diary. He said to call him Tom, as that is the name written in the diary, but I don't call him Tom often. We have been talking for a few months, and he is my best friend. I smile and ask if we can actually talk this time. As I finish writing my sentence, everything turns black and white and I'm sucked into the book. Color slowly returns as I look around the Chamber. In the middle of the Chamber stands Tom. I run to him and hug him.
"My dear, you rarely hug me, today must have been an okay day." He grins when he speaks, and I bury my nose into his shirt, nodding. "I got to see my brother after I wrote to you. They were looking for the She-Weasley, but I didn't know where she was. And there is another message on the wall." "Another? What does it say?" He pulls away and kneels in front of me, holding my shoulders so I'm looking him in the eyes. He is pretty blue eyes with red specks. They hold a sort of manipulation but care. "Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever...but it can't be true, right? It has to be a trick. I'm the only one who knows where the Chamber is. And no one else knows how to open it." "You are right my dear." He kisses my forehead and holds me close. He doesn't do this unless he is worried.."Are you ok Tom? You don't do this unless worried...is something wrong?"
He looks at me and I can see the disappointed look in his eyes, he is worried about me...about someone finding out...no, he isn't worried about me, he is worried about Basil. I pull away from him and take a few steps back, glaring at my shoes. A growl emanates from my throat as tears bubble up. "Send me back." "My dear-" "I said send me back, Riddle." I look up at him and tears run down my cheeks, he looks shocked. "Jennifer, calm down. Why are you crying my dear?" "You don't care about me either. You only care about Basil. You only care about your precious snake." "My dear, that isn't true. Come here. I think the bite is influencing your anger. Please let me look at it." I look at him with racing thoughts and pull down my knee high sock, showing Basil's bite mark. He comes over and kneels beside my leg, barely grazing his fingers along the site. There are black veins around the bite from her venom, where it slowly spreads. They aren't very long, probably half an inch, though the mark itself is about in inch in diameter. She had struck to kill, but when I didn't instantly die, she took a lot of the venom out of my system. Every once in a while, Tom will check on it. That is why I haven't gone to the infirmary, because Madam Pomfrey would have a fit if she knew I was bitten by a Basilisk and survived. And then they would try and kill my Basil.. I can't have that. Tom checks the bite and whispers a spell that calm me and makes the throbbing venom calm, I take a calm breath and thank him, then ask again if he can return me. He smiles lightly, nods, and everything turns black and white before I'm back in my dark room, getting ready for bed. I hope Basil is still safe.