Unexpected

Point of View: Mika Sasaki

Out of the woodlands, Zero led the horse down a small trench and onto a cobblestone road.

"It's right up ahead."

He said, and I placed my hand above my eyes for shade, looking into the distance. I could see building tops and faint music.

"So, why did you need to come to town?"

"Not for anything there, just needed to get away from school grounds. We basically went missing together all night in a barn and I'm sure the Headmaster was looking for us."

I blushed, realizing Zero was absolutely right.

"Why didn't you just go to the Moon dorms like I told you to?"

"I did. But I don't think the other vampires are okay with me, they started crowding me the moment I walked inside. And then there was the girl who let me wear this dress that I completely ruined, she was so mad. So I ran away to somewhere quiet."

"Tch..bastard vampires."

Zero whispered, the horse suddenly moving faster, forcing me back against him. I lifted my head to look up at Zero but his gaze was forward, his hands tightly squeezing the rein. Did I upset him..?

Approaching town, several people quickly stepped out of the way as we galloped through.

"Z-zero maybe we should slow down."

I was holding onto his pant-legs again, shutting my eyes, my long hair flowing around us. Moments later, Zero yanked up on the horse's rein and she slid to a halt. Zero hopped off and I slumped forward, feeling a little nauseous.

"Can we walk back? I'm not very good at this."

"Did we scare you?"

Zero flashed me a smirk, and I sat up, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Not at all!"

I stuck my nose into the air and suddenly Lily was moving again with me still on her back. I held onto the saddle the best I could, glaring at Zero as he was the one who purposely led the horse to start moving again, towards a small stable. Lily lowered her head into a barrel filled with water to drink and I saw Zero propose his hand to me.

"I think you were lying."

He said all coolly as I took his hand.

"Just swing your leg over and step down, it's easy."

"But.. what if she moves?"

"I got you, don't worry."

He assured me and I swung my leg over, the ends of my dress getting caught on the saddle, ripping straight up my thigh. I let go of his hand to frantically hold the ripped dress together and in return, falling off of the back of the horse, the dress ripping all the way up my back. Zero caught me with ease against his chest, our faces so close.

"Don't look down!"

I begged, feeling the cold air along my lower back down to my legs.