seven

...

"You are suggesting that we aid a prisoner in escaping?!" Hayes asked in disbelief.

"Yes, but it's not like we're using her for personal gain."

"This is insane."

"Hayes, you know how important this project is to the both of us. Are you really going to let it all go to waste?"

That's where she had gotten him. To Hayes, this was the most meaningful project he had ever signed onto. Vibranium zero was studied to be a life saving drug. And Hayes wanted that to be available for people. Yet, look where it got him. Here he was contemplating whether or not to help someone escape from prison. And that look in Abernathy's eyes was almost enough to make him submit. He knew she wanted this too. Deep down, all Abernathy wanted to do was help people. It just happened to be taking her down a terrible path.

"Look, I have a plan for getting Marisol out of here. I just need you to follow along." Abernathy reassured Hayes.

It took a moment for him to think it through. It would save Marisol from maximum security. It would also leave her best friend behind. He had to keep reminding himself that this was for the greater good. So, he nodded. And Abernathy let the warden in.

...

Abernathy had fabricated an entire story for the warden. The story sounded above his pay grade so he believed it without a doubt. Both of the girls were brought in to hear the update.

They both sat on the opposite side of Abernathy. They couldn't exchange words, only looks and glances. Angie was anxious only because she knew nothing good was going to happen to her. Marisol was scared because she knew they'd do something horrible to Angie. Angie wasn't a bad person. She would never kill someone, she hated the idea of murder. If that vibranium zero hadn't been coursing through her veins it wouldn't have happened.

"Angela, you will be going to a new minimum security prison, and you will not face a trial for the murder. You'll finish your current sentencing their." Abernathy said.

Angie let out a breath of air. It wasn't maximum security and that was better than nothing. The only question that remained was regarding Mari.

"As for you Marisol, you'll be relocated to a new research facility in order to further study your condition."

"Wait, so what happens to my sentence?" Marisol asked leaning forward.

"It doesn't exist anymore. But you'll remain with the department for a few more months so you will be kept will us during the entire period."

"What about Angela? The vibranium zero is effecting her too. She wouldn't have—" Marisol urged but Angie stopped her.

It was a simple touch on the wrist. Angie looked at her with some sadness in her eyes but there was a broken down look. Angie didn't want her to fight anymore. She just wanted Mari to let it be. She wanted Mari to get out of here, even if it was without her.