nine

...

Today was the day. The visitors Abernathy had mentioned were coming. Marisol could tell because Abernathy came in wearing lipstick. Hayes had extra gel in his hair, he wanted no imperfections. And Abernathy had given her a nice change of clothes, which she never did. Hayes was nervous though. His hands could never keep still. But Marisol was just as nervous. She knew this would be her only chance at escape.

Marisol had perfected her plan she first deciding to make one. She'd use her newly learned ability, triggering memories without contact, to somehow destabilize the room. Nothing had made her more hopeful when she had triggered a memory without contact. It was one of a Hayes, not a traumatic one. Yet, she couldn't wait to find Abernathy's traumatic memory. She wanted her revenge.

"Marisol," Abernathy said, walking over to Marisol's cell. "You're going to follow all my orders today and if you try anything, you already know what'll happen."

"Okay," She answered. A smug grin hid behind her otherwise uninterested expression.

Abernathy went to grab a zip tie and unlocked the cell. The zip tie was placed tightly around Marisol's wrists. The zip ties let Marisol know how nervous Abernathy was. She didn't want any chance of escape. As Abernathy led the way, Marisol glanced at Hayes. He was, without a doubt, afraid of her. But he never let it show around Abernathy. He was just relieved that this would be his last day with her.

...

They were near the basement lab. Marisol knew because she had been paying close attention, the basement door exit was her best option of escape.

They were in what used to be an empty room, it was now filled with chairs and a single chair at the front of the room. It must be for Marisol, it was her showcase after all. And it was because Abernathy sat her in it. Immediately after, she checked her watch. They're going to be here soon.

"You're going to follow my lead, okay?" Abernathy reminded her. "And do not show any traumatic memories unless they ask you."

Marisol just looked over at her, that dead look in her eyes, because she had to keep up the act until it was over it.

Marisol stared at the chairs in front of her. She hoped that she wouldn't push her abilities too far. This needed to work.

Hayes entered the room, she hadn't noticed he even left, and a trail of people followed behind him. There were more men than woman, all dressed in business suits. Most of them came in pairs, except one. He had gray hair but more from stress than age. His features were simple, nothing striking about them. But his demeanor said something else. He was confident and sure of himself but, this wasn't his scene. He glanced over at Marisol suddenly, she must've been staring too long.

Everyone took their seats and silence filled the room. Then, Abernathy opened with an introduction of Marisol. It was basic things: her body could handle vibranium zero, she was in great health, and she had various memory-related abilities. But they all wanted to see it not hear it.