Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"WILLIAM ARTHUR CECIL, HOW DARE YOU!" Charlotte yelled into the room.

It was amazing how William still had the lovely blessing of waking up to his sister's talented vocal chord shrieking in full hysterics.

"YOU HAVE THE DAMN NERVE!"

He rolled over rubbing his eyes in wonder as to what set her into such a fury. But it didn't take long for him to figure out that the rage she was targeting was the woman besides him. He had entirely forgotten his dalliances the night before with one of the temporary maids. How could she blame him for succumbing to the luxuries known to natural man? After all, his ego had been profusely bruised after his encounter with Lady Langford.

"OUT! You will never step foot in this household again." Charlotte spoke with venom. The poor girl wrapped in sheets nodded as she ran out of the hall barely clothed, her face bright red in embarrassment.

"Charlotte," William groaned in annoyance. Why did she have to meddle with his life? Deciding to ignore her, he pulled the sheets over his head as he attempted to drift back to sweet sleep. But the two seconds he had asleep were quickly disturbed by the thwack of a familiar cane. And then a broom.

"You have one HELL of a wit William!" Charlotte continued. "I have had enough of your dalliances! On grandmother's behalf, I've been making sure that your little acts have been cleaned up for the past several years. I can not believe you to be still this idiotic!"

"I AGREE!" Grandmother Fanny hollered. "You good for nothing grandson!"

"Grandmother, since he clearly has no capabilities of self control. I suggest we take matters into our own hands." Charlotte uttered.

The two whispered among themselves.

"Your sister has a splendid idea."

"Oh, what is it now?" William grumbled.

"House arrest"

"WHAT?" William sat up as he was met with disdain by both his sister and grandmother. "Pardon, house arrest? What do you mean? You can't do that, I'm the master of this household!"

"You're the master?" Grandmother Fanny interrupted as she eyed her grandson with cane in hand.

"I- I mean you are grandmama." William muttered meekly.

Charlotte began to cough which seemed to somehow signal Jonathan quickly to her side.

"All this worrying is bad for your health dear," Jonathan murmured pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"It's all because of this good for nothing brother of mine." Charlotte muttered as she evidently relaxed in the presence of her husband.

"You should be more considerate of her health William, for her and ... the child," Jonathan remarked.

"Child? Again?" William uttered in disbelief.

"Yes! Perhaps you'll have another nephew or even a niece but I'm telling you. If you don't clean up your act, I will not let you breathe the same air as my children!" Charlotte proclaimed with utmost vigor.

"Another great grandchild, how wonderful." Fanny cooed. "No wonder you youngins asked for the farthest quarters away from my room."

"Grandmama!" Charlotte yelped blushing bright red.

William chuckled.

"You're still under house arrest William Cecil!"

"Grandmama!"

Rose had been exhausted from the previous evening. She had spent most of her time fending off William Cecil's persistent efforts to woo her. She had kept a keen eye of how his growing frustrating happily pleased her. Perhaps he would reform himself. She was no silly ninny that he could win and bed for the evening, she convinced herself enough of that. Though she still worried over encountering Lord Taylour again. She had no heart to tell her dearest Susan the intentions of her beloved either.

"I heard that last evening, his grace, the Duke of Salisbury spent all his time in attempts of wooing you! Everyone saw it." Susan raved her eyes sparkling as if to hunger for more details.

"Oh Susan, he's just one of those men." A sneer curling up at her lip at the thought of him.

"I heard he's compromised several young ladies in the past and yet all of the end up wedding quickly after to other men. They say it's a ritualistic rite to bed the Duke for good luck."

"A rite and good luck? What nonsense Susan!" Rose exclaimed, unable to hide the disgust in her voice.

"Well I thought you two looked wonderful together ..." Susan responded, her voice small.

"Thank you you're too kind Susan," Rose responded with a sigh. "But I have my heart set on finding a respectable man, not one who'll philander across the country and within his own household."

"I think the Duke of Salisbury isn't as terrible as you're making him out to be."

The voice belonged to none other than Lady Mary - the daughter of a Baronet who had more wealth to her name than anyone else knew. She was a pretty girl, well pretty for London's current fashion. She was slender and petite with her honey curls and robin blue eyes.

"I'd dare say if Sir Cecil were to ever call upon me. I'd gladly accept his proposals." Mary admitted.

"You'd do no such thing Mary," Rose said with a laugh. Rose had often been in Mary's company during the numerous balls that they were both lucky to attend. "After all, you'd have to crush Lord Oliver's heart first."

At the mention of the Lord's name, Mary's face flushed pink. "Don't be ridiculous. He's merely a dear friend."

"Lord Oliver?" Susan murmured. "Lord Oliver! The man that's always accompanied you."

"He's simply a chaperone girls. It's only because my mother is too preoccupied with my father's health. It's nothing to fuss over. The talk of the town is still centered around the Duke of Salisbury's existence. He's most handsome."

"Handsome he is but as rotten as an apple if you count his charm." Rose countered.

"Ah so you do admit he's handsome!" Susan exclaimed.

"Doesn't mean it rights the rest of his wrongs!" Rose defended.

And for the rest of the evening the three girls spent their time both shopping and ceaselessly gossiping about the caliber of men situated in London.

A/N: What can I say? Feedback is a wonderful means of encouragement so thank you to those who commented! Anyways, until the next installment. Vote / comment etc as always :)