Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

When Charlotte had returned from her short vacation with her husband, she did everything possible to welcome Rose properly into the house and as part of the family. And for that, Rose was more than grateful. She was in awe as Charlotte's ability to command the house and keep everything in order. It was something that Rose could only aspire to learn. She was nowhere near as loud and confident as the blonde but that was not to say she was entirely incapable. As Charlotte busied herself with managing the staff, Rose found herself entertaining Nicholas who was now her nephew.

The little boy was the spitting image of his parents. He only managed to utter a few words here and there but he was remarkably lively. To think that in time she'd also have her own made her flush with much pinkness. Though despite it all, the child was happy since he had loving parents. Charlotte and Jonathan's relationship looked quite vibrant and healthy - something that she had always found wonderful in a married pair. Could she too be like that with William ... no no she was being silly again. They didn't love each other.

Deciding to spend the rest of the day with Nicholas, she read him a plethora of books.

William had spent more of his time as a shut in. If he wasn't locking himself in his studies drinking, he'd be sleeping in a separate room from Rose altogether. They maintained a relative distance from one another. And despite the fact that his house arrest had been lifted, there were nowhere he felt like he could go. He was quite a pathetic mess but nobody shared his sympathies, not even Jonathan who was too smitten and strung along by his sisters every word.

It was four o clock when he heard the sound of his nephew scampering into his studies with the most joyous glow on his face. Though despite the current condition of his attitude, seeing his nephew brightly smiling seems to warm him. And so he decided to play hide and seek with the child. One would think it would be easy to find a three year old but William was quite wrong.

"You lost Nicholas?" Rose remarked in disbelief as she looked at William.

She was already starting to hyperventilate wishing to kick the man in the crotch.

"I didn't lose him, he's just hiding somewhere in the house." He shrugged casually. Despite his nonchalance in reality the man was also quite scared knowing how he'd be punished if Charlotte found out. But even more so by his grandmother who adored the little boy.

Frantically Rose found herself looking up and down everywhere in the house. Her heart was racing until she spotted a twitch of movement under her and Williams bed. Quickly she looked below finding that the little boy had fallen asleep. She felt relieved as she took him into her arms, holding him as if he were hers.

She'd had never thought herself to be one with maternal instincts but she was surprised day by day by these new discoveries.

William had made his own journey across the house in search of the little boy. When he entered their shared room he was witness to Rose holding Nicholas in her arms with the most sincere tenderness. His heart ached at the sight. Though he kept silent not wishing to break the peace. It still hadn't quite fully struck him in the head that he was going to be a father but seeing such an image was making things feel real.

Of course as expected, Rose did relay the events of that afternoon to his sister. And yet surprisingly it wasn't Charlotte who had ended scolding him, it was Rose. Charlotte instead simply crossed her arm and nodded her head to show her support. Rose delivered every ounce of irritation his way while others watched rather amazed by her new found voice. As for William, instead of arguing back like he'd usually did, he hung his head in silence, willingly taking the lecture without a single murmur. His reaction seemed to surprise everyone, particularly Rose.

Charlotte seemed rather impressed that there was finally a woman taking charge other than herself and grandmother Fanny.

"I think she'll be a splendid lady for the house, don't you think darling?" Charlotte murmured as she held her sleeping son in her arms as she entered her room with Jonathan following closely behind.

"I think William has finally met someone worthy. Perhaps he'll finally fall in love," Jonathan murmured, pressing a kiss to his son and wife's forehead.

"They will, I feel it," Charlotte said with a smile. 

A/N: Sorry this took awhile, labor day week also coming up so I hope everyone enjoys that (if you're living in america) otherwise, still have a good week! Please vote & comment, your feedback makes me really happy :)