Prologue

"RUN Calia. Run and never look back" I heard my mother shout. "Take these necklaces and always wear them."

"I can't leave you and daddy behind." I yelled back to her hoping that she would hear the desperation in my voice and come with me.

"It's too late for us, you need to get your sister and make it to safety." the smoke was so close I was getting queasy from the amount of silver in it. I had to get out now or else Jelani would lose her entire family.

I pried my eyes away from my mom knowing that would be the last time I saw her, and made my way down the stairs and outside. I was choking on the tears that I wouldn't let escape because I needed to be strong now. My throat constricted and my vision was blurry I could barely see where I was running. I had to pull myself together for my sake and Jelani's.

I followed her directions and focused only on my surroundings, I blocked out the screams of my pack mates as the silver smoke engulfed them. The smoke was relentless as it continued to swallow the people who I called family without a care. When anyone's skin came into contact with the smoke it was so hot it melted it off and if that wasn't enough the silver caused them to suffocate.

It pained me to know that my parents had sacrificed themselves in order for my sister and I to make it out alive. However, it comforted me to know that neither of them would have to live without their mate and go through that unbearable pain. I'd just started my lessons on mates and what they meant to you. Now I'd never have someone to teach me. 

I shifted into my wolf and headed toward the woods. I mind-linked Jelani to figure out where she was because she'd run ahead of me to help the others. I prayed that she hadn't gotten too close to the silver smoke. "

Jelani I'm headed towards the southern border meet me there."

She mind-linked back that she'd been helping the pups escape because whoever started to spread the smoke had also rounded all the pups up and locked them in the basement. Someone was obviously trying to make sure the Lunar Mountain pack didn't continue.

Jelani had finally reached up to me, pushing herself so that she could keep up with me. I was  the fastest she-wolf in the pack. It helped to have Alpha blood coursing through my veins but I didn't solely rely on my Alpha genes for my athleticism.

I've  trained  harder than anyone my age group and once that became too easy I had my dad teach me different types of fighting styles that even the advanced male warriors didn't get to learn. 

My father had flown in fighting masters from all over the world. I had also mastered them all pretty quickly because when I put my mind to something I became unstoppable. I respected my father because he didn't go easy on me just because I was a female. He'd treated me the same as any other pack member. He'd instilled in me the lessons of discipline, justice, and balance as those were all the things needed to become a great leader. 

I was heading to the safe bunker that he'd prepared for all of us. He showed me where it was in case there was a situation that we needed to escape quickly. He always suspected that something like this might happen to him or his family because of his status. He was always thinking ahead about the protection of his pack and family. This attack had taken everyone by surprise.

Running through the woods now I looked for the trees we had marked off to get there and followed the path down.

I saw the pack members who were lucky enough to get out, running in all different directions. Their howls sounded so mournful that it broke my heart in two. I hoped that they would seek asylum in someone else's pack for now though my focus needed to stay on Jelani and her safety.