Lover, Not A Fighter (Mayfield!Reader)

The soft touches that caressed the warmth of his back as your hands crept up underneath the hem of his sweater, left goosebumps on his skin. You were never ashamed to be held in his arms as you shared small moments between classes. It was something Nancy was never keen on, a stiffness in her embraces was a stark contrast to your eagerness to wrap your arms around him.

"How long do you think they'll be?" you murmured as your lips trailed down his neck. "Stevie? You purred when he wasn't responsive to your words.

His hair tousled as his head snapped upward, getting lost in your kisses, only now paying attention to what you were saying. "Hmm? What was that?"

Combing your fingers through the lush brunette locks that only your hands were allowed to run through, you smiled up at him, leaning against the back of the driver's seat as you sat up from his lap. "The Snowball. When's the snowball finished? I don't want them coming out here and catching us in the back seat." you admitted shyly.

"Oh!" he said, straightening up as his hands rested on your thighs. "Right. Maybe around nine?"

"So an hour then." You breathed, clocking out how much time the two of you had left for the evening. Your features softened as you took notice of the small scar above his eyebrow, frowning into your words. "Stevie."

"What?" he asked, knitting his brows together as you ghosted a finger over his forehead.

"You've got a little scar, right here." You said, tracing the pale line. "I should've gone to look for Max that night, this would've never happened if I found her first."

"Stop." He warned with a tender voice. "Don't blame yourself for that, okay? I'm the one who can't fight for shit." Steve laughed, tucking a strange of hair behind your ear.

"That's not a bad thing." You whispered, pressing your forehead against his. "I like that about you. You're gentle and-and you're so kind. That's why I love you."

For a moment his world seemed to erupt into a symphony of music he had never heard before. "You love me?" he asked with a bewildered look in his eyes.

Retracting your touch from him, you shook your head vigorously as you climbed off his lap. "I'm sorry, that was stupid. Pretend I didn't even say that, I'm such an idiot." you rambled, looking around for the jacket that you had thrown somewhere in the car.

"Hey, Woah Woah, stop that." Steve pleaded, trying to grab hold of you before you could get out. "Come here."

Slowly you stopped your frantic search, unable to meet his eyes as he pulled you back onto his lap. "I shouldn't have said it." you apologized as tears clouded your eyes. "Please, please just forget it."

His lips met yours, ceasing your quiet sobs as his thumbs wiped away the warm tears that ran down your cheeks. "Why are you crying? Hmm?

Your weepy eyes struggled to meet his, but the moment they did a sense of relief washed over your face. "Say it back?"

"I love you too." He smiled. "I was just a little caught off guard because I'm not used to hearing it...that's all."

"Well, I guess I'll just have to make it a point to tell you every chance I get." You beamed, bringing your lips to his yet again. "Because I love you Steve Harrington, and I'll tell the whole town if I have too."

Looking away with a grin pulling on the corners of his lips, suddenly feeling overwhelmed by how happy he felt. "We have an hour to kill you know?"

"Then I guess you'll have to make it count, Harrington." you murmured into his lips as his hands clutched the back of your neck, feeling the happiest he had in months.