Even Though It Hurts (Henderson!Reader)

"I'm coming!" you called, jogging down the hall toward the kitchen, nearly tripping over a heap of hockey gear. You rolled your eyes and shoved the pile to the side with your foot, muttering under your breath about how messy 12-year-old boys were.

You entered the kitchen were your aunt stood, stirring a pot of something, probably a new experimental dish.

"Did you need something?" You asked as she had called to you only moments ago.

"Oh yes, dear!" She said twirling around, her cheeks rosy from the warmth of the stove. "Dusty went out to look for mewsy but it's getting dark and I'm a little worried."

Ever since the youngest Byers boy had gone missing the year before all parents seemed a little on edge.

Your family was having some financial issues so to help take off some stress your aunt had offered to take you in. You weren't new to Hawkins, in fact you visited every summer since you were three.

"You want me to go look for him?" You asked, already pulling on your coat that had been sitting over the kitchen chair. "I think I know where he is."

Whenever Dustin dragged you along with him you'd go to this junkyard and help him look through the scraps. You'd look for cool things to make Star Wars replicas with and things like that.

"Can I borrow the car?" You asked your aunt, who was probably the sweetest woman on the face of the earth.

"Sure thing sweetie, the keys are by the front door." She said as she continued to stir the...soup? The woman wasn't the best cook but you'd never tell her that.

     You squinted as you tried to navigate through the fog, the headlights barely making a difference.

The car struggled to get up the hill, the tires had hardly any grip on the dirt backroads. You recognized the old school bus, from what you could tell and pulled over.

You hugged yourself as the air was cool and the fog thick.

"Dustin?" You called out, your eyes squinting through the fog. "Dustin are you out here?"

A hand wrapped around your mouth, you trashed around in their grip.

"Stop it's me." A voice said you were too scared to a process whose it was.

You jerked backwards as more hands grabbed and pulled you into the school bus. You fell to the floor of the bus from the force of whoever was tugging at you.

"Y/N what the hell are you doing here," Dustin said crouching next to you.

You gave him a bewildered look as if you were in the wrong. You looked around to see the three others who accompanied your younger cousin. You recognized Lucas, he'd gotten a little taller but looked otherwise the same. He gave you a little wave, you returned with a nod.

"What am I doing here?" You said a little angry now. "What am I doing? What are you doing Dustin? Your moms worried sick, it's dark out. The least you could say is 'thanks Y/N for making sure I wasn't dead in a ditch."

Dustin shoved a hand in your face, using his other to motion up and down.

"Keep your voice down, they are going to hear you," Dustin warned, Lucas, nodding in agreement.

You rolled your eyes and swatted his hand away.

"Listen if this is some dungeon and dragons shit I'm going to-"

"It's not." The same voice from earlier said, now realizing you never noticed who it was. Steve Harrington stood with a serious look on his face, a baseball bat with nails hammered through it resting on his shoulder.