Pretty When You Cry (Mexican!Reader)

Warnings: Bigotry/Ignorance regarding race and culture (Tommy and Carol are assholes)

A/N: This was one of my first fics (so excuse the poor writing), as well as one of the first requests I ever received and this is one of my fav stories. Also! I'm sorry if the Spanish isn't correct, I myself am not Hispanic but I tried my best to be as accurate as possible. This fic was really important to me because I believe diversity is so important and I hope you like this :)

     Hawkins was a small town in the midwest, not exactly an ideal place to live compared to your old neighbourhood. You nervously looked at the other students who were scattered around the front of the school, your heart sank as you couldn't spot a single person that looked like you. Your old neighbourhood was full of Mexican culture and the people were so warm and welcoming, the polar opposite to this place you were now forced to call home.

Your Father pulled up in front of your new school, the small pine air freshener swayed from the rear view mirror where it hung, you reached up to steady it as it began to irritate you.

"Alright Mijia, have a good day at school." Your father said with a kind smile. "I'm sorry I can't pick you up after school, but the walk isn't too far from home."

You nodded, leaning over to give his cheek a quick peck before hesitantly unlocking the door.

"Qué te vaya bien!" Your father yelled out to you, wishing you luck in Spanish, which was usually a comfort but when the other students all turned to look, you felt sick to your stomach.

You followed after the vice principal as they led you toward your first class after they had shown you to your locker of course.

You hid as best as you could behind him as he knocked on the classroom door before letting himself in. Squeezing your eyes tightly, you held your breath as your stomach buzzed with nerves. You let out a slow exhale as you opened your eyes and walked in after the VP.

"How nice to meet you!" the teacher greeted, a phoney smile plastered on her face. "Y/N, is it?"

You nodded, the Vice principal giving you a pat on the shoulder as he left.

"And where are you from?" she asked causing you to die internally. All you wanted to do was get to an empty seat, preferably in the back and just coast through the day undetected.

Your eyes darted between the teacher and the window, books clasped tightly to your chest.

"San Diego...uh Barrio Logan, San Diego." You said before quickly clarifying, the eyes of the class burned into you.

"Well, I hope you enjoy Hawkins and settle in well," she said, her lips pressed into a tight smile, gesturing for you to find a seat.

You gave a slight nod, your shoulders rising as you took in a deep inhale, turning toward the students. You scanned for an empty seat, seeing a few in the midsection near the windows. You quickly made your way between the rows of desks, your heart skipping as your foot caught on something.

An arm reached out and caught you, the boy half out of his desk due to his quick thinking.

"Woah, you okay?"He asked, getting up to steady himself and you.

You were surprised to see his face, bruises and scabs along his lip and brow bone, his nose was split as well. Despite the wounds that masked his face, his features were handsome and his eyes kind.

You gaped at him, before shaking your head quickly to bring you back into the moment. "Yeah, thanks."

The class was nearly over and your hand feverishly moved across the paper, jotting down notes as your teacher went through the slides faster than you were used to.