2 - Getting to Know You

AN: Here's chapter 2. Hope you enjoy.

:::::::

Rossi decided his first plan of action was to go through the file now sitting on his desk. The man did say it would have everything needed to know. Though, he doubted it was going to help his ever growing headache. "Hey, uhm, I guess just make yourself at home."

Nora pulled herself up on the couch where the man had left her bag. Rossi took a seat at his desk. The first thing in the file was a copy of Nora's birth certificate; though, it was no good as Nora's last name and her mother's name were both whited out. The father line was blank. Next was a copy of Nora's medical records. These too were void of a last name. Rossi did a quick scan to check for anything major. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary. The next stack was custody papers. Lastly, there was a slip of paper with a number deemed for emergencies only. It seemed the mysterious man had thought of everything; despite nothing revealing his daughter's identity. "I'll be right back," Rossi told Nora as he stood up.

Rossi stepped out of his office to find all eyes turned to him. Morgan was the only one brave enough to ask the question they were all wondering, "What's going on?"

"I'm trying to figure that out myself," Rossi replied before slipping into Hotch's office.

"What can I do for you, Dave?" Hotch asked oblivious to the mystery man and child.

"I'm going to need a few personal days. I've had a family thing come up that I need to figure out," Rossi told him.

"Is everything okay?" Hotch asked.

"I don't know," Rossi admitted.

Hotch gave him a look of concern. "You have more vacation days than anyone in this unit. Please use them all if you need to."

"Thank you," Rossi stated turning to leave.

"Hey, Dave," Hotch called after him, "call me if you need anything."

"I will."

:::::::

When Rossi reentered the office Nora was holding a stuffed lion cub in her lap that she had pulled from her bag. "Who's that?"

"Simba"

Rossi gathered the papers from his desk and walked over to the couch. "We're going to go visit a friend of mine then go eat lunch."

Rossi lifted the bag up and was surprised at its weight. He realized that it probably contained his granddaughter's entire life, or at least as much as the man could fit in it. Referring to Nora as his granddaughter felt odd in Rossi's mind. Just an hour ago he didn't even know he had a daughter. Rossi guessed he was never meant to be a father. First James had died and now a daughter he didn't even know was dead. Looking down at Nora he guessed maybe he did have a chance after all. "Are you ready to go?"

Nora held up her arms; Simba firmly clasped in her left hand. "Don't make this a habit. I'm not as young as I use to be," Rossi warned as he picked her up. He instantly forgot his words as she cuddled into his arms; even though Simba's tail was hitting him in the face.

When he stepped out of his office the team was waiting. JJ and Hotch had left their offices to see what was going on. Rossi decided to go ahead and address the situation before the rumor mill could get started. "Everyone this is my granddaughter. I'll be taking a couple of weeks off to get everything settled. Unless the team is on a case you are all invited to my house on Friday for dinner."

Rossi then made his way to Garcia's office. "Come in," She instructed.

Rossi entered the room just as Garcia turned around with a shocked expression. "Garcia this is my granddaughter, Nora."