8 - Oh, The Places You'll Go

AN: I hope everyone is well in this time of changes and uncertainty. Here's the next chapter that I hope brightens a few days. We learn a little bit more about Rossi's daughter and her mother. Enjoy.

:::::::

Rossi and Hotch talked for a bit longer before making their way back into the house. The adults were scattered out among the couches and chairs while Reid and Penelope laid on a pile of blankets on the floor with Nora and Jack between them.

Hotch walked over to join Haley on the love seat while Rossi took a seat in the last empty armchair.

Occasionally Penelope would quote a line or sing along to a song on the movie. Occasionally Reid would point out a factual error causing Jack and Nora to giggle. It was the happiest Rossi had seen Nora so far which made him glad he had decided to have the team over. Maybe they would just have to have these get togethers more often.

:::::::

"Thank you for coming," Rossi said as he walked Strauss to the door.

"How could I turn down one of your famous dinners?"

"You have before," Rossi spoke without anger. The past was the past.

Strauss tilted her head and crossed her arms. "That was a long time ago. We were different people then; I was in a different place."

Rossi sighed. "I know." He smiled. "It was still really good to have you here tonight. Maybe we can be friends again?"

Strauss nodded slowly. "Friends."

Rossi chuckled. "Besides I could use a translator."

Strauss smiled. "We will see." She turned to leave. "See you later."

Rossi opened the door for her. "Later."

:::::::

Rossi reentered the den and was greeted with Penelope and Nora still laying on the pile of blankets on the floor looking at something on Penelope's phone. "What are you two doing?"

Penelope looked up. "We were just looking at ideas for Nora's room. What's your budget? How opposed are you to drilling in the walls?"

"I don't know and it depends, but right now it's bedtime."

Nora frowned. "Penny rester (Penny stay)?"

"Sadly I have work in the morning, but I wish I could stay."

"S'il vous plaît (please)?" Nora asked again.

Getting the gist of the problem Rossi stepped in. "How about Penelope reads you a bedtime story instead?"

Nora perked up. "Allons (come on)."

Rossi and Penelope both chuckled as Nora jumped up and started tugging on Penelope's hand for her to follow. "I'll take that as a yes."

Rossi nodded. "Don't forget to put on your pajamas first."

:::::::

Rossi entered Nora's room right as she pulled a book from the dresser and handed it to Penelope, who was waiting next to the bed. "Oh, the Places You'll Go, a classic. Good choice."

"L'histoire préférée de maman au coucher (Mama's favorite bedtime story)."

Rossi watched as a sad smile crossed Penelope's face. "Makes it an even better choice then. Now get comfy."

Nora followed her words and curled up on the bed with Simba securely pinned under her arm.

Rossi watched as Penelope carefully opened the book. She paused, glancing at the inside cover, before turning the page. He noticed several envelopes laying between the cover and first page. They would have to wait till after Nora was asleep.