28 | SWEET MISERY |

➖

ETERNAL MISERY WAS A BITCH. The worst thing about being your own worst enemy was knowing it was your fault of every downfall you were suffering. The self-loathing, guilt, and frustration was unrelenting.

Jasper Hale had spent the last three months in never ending pain.

He finally knew what forever felt like.

And it sucked major ass.

At least without Rory by his side.

Jasper was heartsick, lonely, and left with nothing but pain. Like a man robbed blind of happiness, except he had done this to himself. He couldn't blame anyone, not even Edward, but himself for his state of depression.

At first, it relieved Jasper to know that Rory would be happy and free from danger. She would have the future she always wanted—without the burden of Jasper marring her plans.

But life without Rory was pointless. What was forever without someone to spend it with?

And the more he thought about it, the more he realized that he had made the biggest mistake of his entire existence. How could he be really sure Rory was truly happy? She was stuck in a town she had no job or future in while all her friends finished high school. Jasper wasn't there to protect her either—what about Victoria? Rory had been terrified of her, she had admitted to him later that Victoria had known Rory was human on the baseball field.

Jasper had realized all this exactly two weeks after he had left Rory alone in the hospital room. He had gone back, left everyone in New York, to try and beg Rory for forgiveness. But she was long gone. Jasper didn't know where she had gone and he wasn't about to knock on her mother's door when he had left her daughter after she had a miscarriage.

Jasper had to get back to Rory.

But did she even care about him anymore?

Jasper reread the letter for the 78th time, leaning on the railing of the balcony as the full moon shined upon him. Rory's birthday was approaching, she was in his thoughts even more so than she was already. Not that big of a change from hourly to every other minute. It was difficult not to think about her. She was his everything.

"Major, what the hell are you doing?"

Jasper looked up to see his oldest friend frowning at him from the opened sliding glass door. "Nothing." He tucked the letter into his inner jacket pocket.

Since he left Forks that fateful day, he had gone off on his own. He couldn't face his family, not when he was the reason they had to leave the only place they ever felt truly at home.