Momo

A/N: please forgive me

It was the day before your birthday and usually you'd be ecstatic but you weren't. You were at a coffee shop the next town over from where you live, sitting across from your boyfriend. This was your favorite type of thing to do; you got to sit in a comfortable welcoming environment with the warm scent of coffee and tea wafting through the air as you peacefully enjoyed the company of whoever you were with. Well that's how it usually went but right now the air smelt as if it was mocking you and your drink tasted exceptionally bitter in your mouth as you stared into his dull eyes.

"Listen I know tomorrow is your birthday but I really don't think I continue with this." He stated bitterly as if trying to mimic your drink. "I brought you here so I wouldn't ruin your favorite coffee shops and so you couldn't freak out cause I knew you would."

Every word he said was like a knife stabbing you and twisting before pulling out. You'd been dating him for three years and had known each other for eight and he had asked you to be his girlfriend in such a meaningful way. His loving kisses just yesterday now left a chilling sensation in your mind. Every syllable that fell strategically out ofthis mouth was like a landmine you just happened to step on.

"I met a friend months ago and we really hit it off you know? I mean they're so great and perfect and you're just.. you know.." his words dragged as of searching for the right word but his voice just faded instead unable to find anything. Yours however did find what you were looking for. This man, no, this boy just wasted months if not years of your life. He brought you on one of your favorite activities the day before your birthday to break up with you. You knew what you wanted to say; you knew the exact words in the exact order in the exact tone. You knew the motions you wanted to make whilst saying them. Yet you didn't. You didn't say those words. You didn't make those motions. You didn't say anything.

You stare at him, a good 30 seconds pass by. People who overheard the conversation watch in wait unsure of how you will react. His eyes search you as his body tenses in a sudden surge of insecurity. You're angry, furious, hurt, sad and yet your face remains blank as your brain finishes processing the situation. The other people, the furniture, the onlookers, him, and yourself. Suddenly you stand up, the chair making an ear splitting squeak nearly as loud as the beating you hear inside of you. Anyway who wasn't looking before is now.

It wasn't like on tv. There were no words from the gawkers. He didn't beg for forgiveness. You didn't dump your drink on him for fear of getting charged. Instead you left without a word. You had plenty to say, plenty of emotions to convey. Yet you had no way to say them, it was as if your vocal chords suddenly vanished. You left without looking at anyone. You left without looking back. He didn't chase after you.

It was a forty five minute walk back to your apartment. Forty five minutes of silence. Forty five minutes of being alone with your thoughts. It felt like fifteen. You couldn't form a coherent thought. Your brain was a disastrous mix of emotions, though your face showed nothing. Maybe a hint of anger of sadness but truthfully you looked like your soul had died.

You got home still trying to process everything. Trying to make your brain relax so you could think. It was four pm. You quickly changed into something more comfortable. Something loser, an attempted to try to feel free. You sat down your phone next to you though in your eyes it didn't exist. It was a paperweight. A brick. A lifeless object that held no use. You thought.

It was ten pm. You didn't know when it became so late or dark. You hadn't moved from your spot but your face and neck were wet. You had been crying. Sobbing. Then it hit you, like really hit you. In two hours it would be your birthday. You were alone. You clicked the button to light up the screen. Twenty six missed calls. Thirty seven texts. You read through them, they were all from the same person. Apparently a customer in the coffee shop where your world crumbled was a friend of yours. Tsu. She had told your best friend what happened. Your best friend was now on her way with ice cream and other comfort food.

It wasn't long after when you heard a knock on your door. You hoped it was him, although you knew it wasn't. It wasn't. You were released when you saw her standing there. You didn't care about how you looked despite looking like you got hit by a truck. Momo your best friend was standing there looking worried suck hold bags of candy and junk.

You stepped back allowing her entrance. You were still crying. She dropped the bags quickly and pulled you into a tight hug. She picked the bags back up and brought them and you over to the couch. She held you. You two sat there silently eating and cuddling. She didn't need to say anything and she knew that. So she didn't. Something always felt different with her you
weren't sure why. You both drifted off to sleep together.

You woke gently, warmer than you ever did with him. She was still there but she was awake waiting  patiently for you to wake up as well.

"Happy birthday! I know it isn't a great day but we can do our best to cheer you up!" She said softly but with an excitement only she could muster. It was adorable. She did just that. You best friend did her very best to cheer you up that day. And every day after.

About a year later you realize why it always felt so different with her. About two years later you softly kiss her goodnight. And about five years after that night you're here.

You're right where you belong. Standing in front of your friends and family. Across from Momo. Both of you in gorgeous attire as you stand there, tears in your eyes as you stare at her. The final words are said. You kiss your beautiful new wife.