check

"Hey, Taeri."

"What Tae?"

We were walking around the park, bored of the hospital. He showed me his phone. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It seems like Jungkook called and messaged him a lot of time. The last message he sent to Taehyung was telling me to check my phone.

Nochu:

TAERI-AH!

I need u and tae rn

pleaseee hurryyy

your father is in crisis!

Wait. Why is Nochu sending me thi-

Oh. It all makes sense now. So, all this time... it was Jungkook? Oh wow. Why didn't I notice it? I decided to forget about it, and started to ran back to the hospital. When we got there, things were... not so good. We looked for Jungkook, but we didn't saw him. Then we saw a nurse, so we decided to ask her.

"Excuse me, do you know where Jeon Jungkook is?"

"Oh you must be Mr. Kim's daughter, right? Well, he's inside, talking to the doctor."

"Can I come in?"

"Unfortunately no. You both should wait out here."

So we did. Taehyung and I sat next to each other, both of us somehow nervous. The nurse tapped me lightly on the shoulder. As I looked at her, she bends down a bit so that our eyes made a contact.

"So, you must be Taeri right?"

"Y-yeah."

"Don't worry. I'm Jungkook's cousin."

"Really?"

"Yep. You know, you're so lucky Ms. Kim."

"What do you mean? Please just call me Taeri."

"I'm Jieun. What I'm saying is that, you're so lucky to have a friend like Jungkook. I never saw him like this before."

I wanted to tell her that we're not that close, but I decided to shut my mouth and signalled her to continue.

"You see, he, from what the doctors, and myself see, seems to care about you a lot. Like, whenever you guys came to this hospital, while you two were visiting Mr. Kim, he would come to Mr. Jung's office and talk about the chances of surviving."

I was a bit taken aback. I didn't know about this. He always said that he's going to the toilet. I guess he's good at lying like that.

"Oh, and one more thing. He... You guys always leave this place at 3 pm, right?"

I just nod.

"Not him though. At 6 pm, he would came back here, go to your father's room. He always come home at 9 pm. He usually brings some snack and a guitar. We, nurses and doctors, always love to stop by your father's room to hear him sing and hear him tell stories about..."

She looked at me. I looked at her. I'm pretty sure Taehyung is looking at her too. I mean, her story seems to be very interesting.

"... about you Taeri."

"What?"

She smiled. Taehyung and I were taken aback. Especially me.

"Yeah. He would tell about you, in any way he could. Like your favorite food, your favorite songs, your hobby, everything. But what we nurses love to hear is when he says that..."

I gulped.

"... that he loves you, and how he can never have you back."

My heart started to beat faster. But, why did he broke up with me then? Jieun just smiled, knowing that the statement is to hard to swallow. Suddenly, Doctor Jung came out from the room, followed by Jungkook.

"Ms. Kim, we have found the perfect heart for you. Mr. Jeon here..."

.

.

.

.

"Helped me find it."

"Oh. Thank you doc. Thanks Jungkook."

They both smiled at me. But somehow... their smile didn't really reached their eye.

====

highkeykook