Chapter One

2014

2014

"Anya! You ready to go?"

"Almost!" I told my sister as I rummaged through one of the moving boxes. "Hey, Tasha! Have you seen my blue hoodie anywhere?"

"It should be in your duffel bag." She told me as she came into my new room and helped me look. "Can you live without it for today? I have that meeting with the police captain today and I can't be late."

"Yeah, I'll just wear the leather jacket." I sighed, slipping on the previously mentioned item of clothing.

"Thank you, Ana!" Natasha stated, planting a kiss on my head and handing me my backpack. "Watch out Portland, because the Romanov Sisters are gonna make this first day their bitch!"

•••••••••••
Natasha POV:

When I arrived at the precinct, I was met with the bustling of police officers and detectives going through their average day. 

I took a deep breath and let my blue eyes scan the room for Captain Renard's office. I quickly turned to ask one of the officers for directions, only to bump into someone.

"дерьмо!" I cursed, before taking a step back and apologizing. "I'm so sorry!"

"No, it's fine!" I made eye contact with the man I'd bumped into and found a tall brunette man looking down at me. "Can I help you? Because you look a little lost."

"Yeah, I was actually looking for Captain Renard's office. I have a meeting with him in a few minutes and I have no idea where to go." I chuckled awkwardly as I fiddled with the strap of my bag.

"Oh! You're the new transfer!" The blue eyed man exclaimed in realization. "I'm Detective Nick Burkhardt."

"Natasha Romanov."

"Like the—?" He asked with a raised eyebrow as he shook my hand.

"Yes, like the comic book character." I chuckled, before explaining. "My parents were nerds. My little sister has it worse, they named her Anastasia."

"Like the lost Russian princess?" He asked with a laugh.

"Yeah, my mom was a huge fan of the princess movie. We call her Anya and everything." I chuckled, thinking about my sassy little sister.

"Please tell me you're not secretly a Russian assassin." Burkhardt joked with a grin.

"Nope, don't worry. I'm just a cop from San Francisco." I laughed, before joking. "But if I tell you anything else, I'll have to kill you."

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Romanov. Captain Renard's office is just over there, just knock and he'll be right with you." He told me, pointing towards a room with large windows.

"Thanks and it was nice to meet you too, Burkhardt." I gave the detective a smile and a wave as I made my way towards the captain's office. "See you around!"