Writing Tip 11: Be Original

Some say that at this point, every plot has been done. And in a world where the biggest films in Hollywood are always sequels or reboots, and stories deemed "cliché" seem to top the What's Hot lists, it easy for people to feel that way.

But that doesn't make it impossible to have some originality in your story.

Whether it's the characters, the setting, or the plot, it's the unique elements to a story that truly make it memorable. But how can you make your story stand out and be original in the first place?

For characters, it's simple: treat them like real people. A character may be a figment of your imagination, but that doesn't make them any less real for the reader in the world of the story. Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games could have been your typical badass with a bow and arrow, but what makes her more memorable than that generic stereotype is that her motives and reasons make sense to us - she acts the way she does to protect her family, isn't perfect, and as a result readers relate. Added to the unique setting and premise, the story stands out.

Plots may seem trickier, especially with everything seemingly done in other stories, but that's where plot twists come in - elements that surprise the reader. In general, no story follows a cookie cut mould: you don't even have to write it in chronological order, and that allows you to make your plot unique, no matter what the genre.

Oftentimes, stories seem to be seen as cliché and non cliché, even by the writers. When writing, it's best not to think this way - instead see it as getting your story told. If writers consistently compared themselves to others during the writing process, it would be seriously off putting - imagine if Suzanne Collins had stressed out over the details of Battle Royale, or Rick Riordan had worried that Percy Jackson was too similar to Harry Potter? Would we have the same amazing stories, or would these writers have just given up? You might end up hurting your own story instead, and on Wattpad it can be easy to forget that when constantly interacting with other authors.

So this week's tip: don't be afraid to be unique when it comes to your stories. The more original your story, the more memorable you can make it, and that will make readers remember your story in the long run.

What others have had to say

xFakingaSmilex "People stand out and are remembered for being the first to do it. Make sure you find the perfect balance between including the cute cliche scenes and the unknown plot twists that send you over the edge and up all night reading." 

KatherineArlene "Try this trick for writing an original story. Take one of your favorite stories, change all the aspects of the plot and characters, and then write THAT story. When you're done, you'll have created something uniquely your own."

dreamflier "Well first we have to remember that the amount of original plots is almost to the point of zero. No matter what you write, there's going to be some element of a cliche, so to speak. To keep originality, I think it's important for writers to remember that characters are unique in that no one person is the same as the other. Don't fall into the cliches, and if you do put the person apart from the cliched stereotype. People in real life don't fit every aspect of a cliche so don't let your characters do that either. In that, despite the fact that you might have a cliche, your characters--with their personalities and other facets of character--will pull through to make a story original. Characters are the lifeblood of a story, I believe. If they are cliched, then there is no originality."

Monrosey "I read somewhere that there are only seven basic plots in literature. Only seven! That's not very many. The important part is the way you put a spin on the story, how YOU make it YOURS. Your imagination and thought process is unique. No one else in the world thinks the way you do."

Hopefully that's helped you all! What advice do you have for adding a bit of originality to your stories?