Chapter 15

Agape

      Even though the water's cold, I want to stay surrounded in its wide expanse forever. It feels so good. As the water seeps through my feathers, my wings start to weigh me down. I arise into my human form,escaping the extra weight my wings hold. Fish swim past me as I swim in slow circles. After a few minutes my lungs start to feel tight. I swim up towards the surface. My skin greets the cold air; I feel immediate relief as my lungs fill up with oxygen and I can breathe again.

      "Agape!" Artemis yells panicked. "Do you know how long you were under there for?" I ignore her question.

     "Come join me. The water's nice." I close my eyes and float on my back, using my arms to swim myself nowhere. When she doesn't respond I open my eyes. A breeze blows against my face before Artemis suddenly appears above me.

      "Boo." I scream in surprise and we both go under. I swim up and burst out laughing.

      "Changed your mind?" I ask as she reaches the surface.

      "I couldn't let you have all the fun." She spits water at me and we both start splashing each other like little children.

      I spot Arcturus flying above us. I pull Artemis closer and whisper in her ear. She giggles.

      We dive under. Swimming directly down before immediately turning direction and swimming straight up. Once we break the surface, I arise my wings to give me an extra push boost. With Artemis next to me, we both grab one of Arcturus' legs before gravity comes into play and pushes us down again.

      Arcturus squaws in alarm until the water silences him.

      "Death," he emerges from underwater, his wings flapping frantically. "Death to both of you." I laugh as I see his panicked expression.

      "What did he say?" Artemis asks with a smile.

      "He said he's gonna kill us." She laughs and grabs underneath my arms. I quickly snatch Arcturus before Artemis lifts us both up out of the water. The reflection of us appears on the glassy lake in ripples. Frequently interrupted by droplets that roll down our wet bodies, only making the image of us look more distorted.

      I feel Arcturus shivering in my arms and momentarily feel bad for him. It's obvious he's given up trying to hold his wings up as he just lets them lay heavily to his sides. His feathers are in disarray and look extremely uncomfortable.

      Once we reach the shore, Artemis puts me down. As we make our way back to the cabin, I take the opportunity to warm Arcturus up. A light blue color appears from my hands as I rub them softly along his glossy feathers. He whistles happily and snuggles against my chest.

      Artemis?" She hmm's in response, picking up her things, glancing at Orion's bow every now and then. "Can you take Arcturus with you to Mount Othrys? The next call is in a colder climate and I don't want to risk him catching something." She looks up at me in surprise. She knows I never go on a call without Arcturus. Mainly because my father would be furious if I didn't but also because he's my second line of defense.

      She searches my eyes.

      "Are you sure?" I nod my head. If there really is going to be a demon on this call, then I don't want Arcturus to get involved. Just thinking about the possibilities makes me shake.