Chapter 17

Xander

With my hand pressed against the soft brown wood, the door opens easily. Sunlight streams through a window in the wall as light brown curtains shuffle uncomfortably low in front of it. Two identical beds fill up the small space inside the room with similar  patterned sheets and matching side tables. Even though the room was meant for two, one side is untouched. Pillows perfectly stacked. Sheets neatly tucked and folded under the bed. A chest meant for personal things hangs wide open with an empty mouth.

The bed to my right supports the weight of David Woods as he lays against a bare wall behind me. His legs are crossed at the ankles. His clothes have been downgraded to a simple pair of slacks and a black shirt. In his hands is a thin, worn paperback.

At the sound of the door finally clicking shut, David looks up. When he sees me a look of surprise flashes across his face before he hides it. Just like before, he's putting on a strong front, but I can see a flash of fear in his eyes.

He places his book respectfully on a side table and stands up.

    "Your Highness," his arm crosses his chest and he bows a little, addressing me properly. My respect for him grows.

    "Sir Woods." I nod and he stands up straight. He gently touches his right shoulder. It takes me a moment to realize why.

    "I'm sorry about your shoulder." His eyes open a bit before he shakes his head humbly.

    "No my Prince, I'm the one who should apologize." He exhales, "I stepped out of line. I was so upset that I went against what I as a guard have been taught here. I promise it won't happen again. You have my obedience." He glances over at the empty bed on the left side of the room before looking down at the floor. His body trembles slightly.

    "I'm glad to hear that." I walk past him to stare out the window in between the two beds. "But I didn't come here for an apology. I came here to fulfill your request." His head snaps up.

    "What do you mean?" I ignore his question and look around the room.

    "Do you have anything in here of your friends' that I can use?" At first he doesn't move. Then he picks up his book and flips through the pages before stopping near the back. His hand hovers above the pages before disappearing between them. He takes out a little photo and hands it to me."

"It's an old photograph, one of the polaroids that were used before delving could capture moments more clearly than these. The man in the photograph is tall and buff. He looks like any normal human being except for the soft red glow of his skin and the long black webbed wings that appear behind his back, towering over his frame. They only make him appear bigger. His black hair is trimmed in a short buzz cut. His arm lazily wrapped around another demon as he holds up the drink of beer in his other hand.

I start visually memorizing his appearance. Focusing on the shape of his hands, the veins in his forearms, his broad shoulders. I take more time with the face memorizing every detail. Then I pause. His grin is so wide in the picture I decide to ask.

    "What color are his eyes?" David immediately responds.

    "Brown."

    "How brown? Be more specific." I scan the photograph one last time, making sure I have everything right.

    "They're like Commander Knight's brown eyes, except hers are darker. His eyes are more of a tawny, honey brown." He pauses for a moment. "Why the eyes?"

I focus on a single spot in the room.

    "Because, eyes can tell the truth of a person when words cannot." I start moving my hand up, drawing the male figure out of the photograph. As first, all that rises are ashes. The grey and black pieces which ended his fate, now float in a line. They dance out of picture, so alive and real, flowing in and out of themselves in a hurry to follow my command.