Chapter 2 - Wall Of Thorns

She exited the classroom and I followed after her. We parted ways after that, both of us going to our lockers, but I guess they were on opposite sides since she went left and I went right.

I got to my locker, took my history books, and headed to the history classroom. As I was walking I passed her, standing in front of her locker, and a small notebook fell on the ground.

I picked it up, but as it fell down, it opened, and when I looked in it I saw drawings, along with quotes all around them. I didn't recognize any of the quotes, so I assumed they may be hers, that she was the one to think of them.

But I didn't want to believe that.

The drawings on those two pages alone were small, but terrifying, showing people who bled trying to be beautiful, humanlike ghosts made of ash holding human-face masks over their faces, figures with hollow eyes who seemed sad, so sad...

But the words were even worse.

"Thanks!" - I heared a voice say to me, and I broke from my daze and looked up slowly.

I was completely sure I had the mix of shock and worry and fear on my face.

She just smiled and said - "Yeah... I don't really show that one to others much." - and then she laughed. Laughed. And it sounded so sincere...

I handed her the notebook, still out of words, for none apropriate came to mind.

"A-are you ok?" - I finally asked. Stupid, and I knew it was stupid, but at least I spoke.

She just laughed again - "Yeah, yeah... Don't worry about that." - she gestured to the notebook - "It's nothing, really, I'm fine."

The worst part was that she sounded convincing, but in the same time, it sounded a bit robotic, like it has been said so many times it has become a line known by heart. A sudden uneasiness came into me, a supressed memory.

"Do any of your friends know about it?" - I tried again.

"No, why would they? There is nothing to know." - this time, her words had a bit of a finality in them, like I shouldn't press any further.

I grew more and more worried. She obviously doesn't want people to know. Stupid. Is she really that stupid... But still I had a feeling it was smart to listen to the tone of her voice and step back for now.

"Sure." - I sighed in defeat and gave her a little smile.

She returned it, but about fifty times bigger - "Yeah... Thanks agin for picking up the notebook for me!"

"No problem."

"Well I have to go now, they will wait for me." - she said with a hint of apology in her eyes, the serious warning gaze from seconds earlier completely gone, and I got the message - "See you in class!"

"Yeah, see you." - I gave her a small wave and started to leave.

In the same time she turned to her locker again, and just as I stepped forward, I was able to see the momentary change in her eyes, as every last bit of happiness vanished from them in the last two seconds.

I started walking down the hallway, deep in my thoughts, trying not to compare her to... Then it hit me, I still didn't know her name.

I hesitated for a moment, but in the end I turned around, just to see her locking her closet and preparing to go to her friends.

It's now or never... 

"Hey!" - I didn't really shout, but it was enough for her to turn, curiosity, and worry maybe, splashed on her face.

"I didn't catch your name." - her face relaxed immediantly.

"Alycia. Alycia Collins."