Chapter 5: I Don't Want to Study (2)

Author's Note:

We made it to chapter 5! *shoots out confetti* (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ 

I honestly did not think I would get as far as I did with this story. I think that as soon as Tanaka gets kicked out, I would have to start dividing my attention between my other stories and this one.

...--------...

After his one-hour nap, Tanaka found himself inside the carriage that would be taking him to Evadne Magic Academy, his head lying peacefully on his maid's (Clarisse's) lap. Despite his fruitful rest, he still felt quite drowsy and his caretaker was more than happy to indulge him in his lethargy.

"Young Master Thomas... Are you not really doing well in your classes? Do you need a tutor?" Well, sometimes she would indulge him in his laziness.

"...No," was Tanaka straightforward answer, his voice muffled against the skirt of Clarisse's maid uniform.

"No, you're not doing well, or no, that you don't need a tutor?" Clarisse clarified, obviously not letting go of the matter.

"...No tutor," Tanaka promptly declared, seemingly final in his decision.

"Then young master should be doing better in school," the maid argued as she tapped her finger a few times on the child's plush cheek. Tanaka didn't respond back to Clarisse statement and since she wasn't given a reaction, the maid could only sigh. "I know it's difficult for young master to be a five-tiered and to be barely able to use your magical talents, but if young master works hard, I believe that young master would do well."

Tanaka made sure to hide his grimace from his kind caretaker. Though Clarisse's belief in him was uplifting and moving, the problem laid not with his work ethic (despite having none), but the fact that he has a five-tiered magical aptitude. About 70% of the human population in this world are five-tiered. It's the most common aptitude that anyone can have. Less than 5% of that 70% can use magic though, and even fewer can use it functionally. Suffice to say, these five-tiers are the 'muggles' in this world. Practically non-magical for all intent and purposes, though Evadne Academy had once proclaimed that everyone, despite their tier-rank, has the potential to use magic.

Eh. Politics.

In reality, Tanaka was pretty sure that he was the only student in Evadne Academy that had been evaluated as a five-tier magician. Everyone else was either a three-tier or higher. It made him stand out from the rest of his peers in the worst way possible.

'Useless Tom' was a nickname everyone had agreed to. Even his professors would call him by that nickname as if it was his actual name instead. Every time he attended his classes, every time he walked through the gates of Evadne Academy, Tanaka was only met with sneers and disdain.

The only reason the school board would even acknowledge his presence, much less be considered a student of Evadne Academy, was because of his family's influence. To be a useless, five-tier magician and have the gull to attend one of the most prestigious magical academies in Ariadne-- isn't that too shameless? The majority of the student body's opinion of the infamous Thomas Rosetta is as low as their opinion on commoners. Maybe even worse since they have to see him every day.

It really made the original Thomas seem pitiful.

Tanaka, on the other hand... since he found the negative atmosphere to be troublesome, as soon as he entered into his usual classroom, he ignored the graffiti on his desk, pulled out his ruined textbook, laid it on the surface of his desk, and promptly fell asleep using his book as a pillow.

The classmates who were waiting gleefully for his indignant expression: "........."

The professor teaching the class: "......"