Chapter 9: I Don't Want to Play Pretend (3)

Author's Note:

Are you guys happy? I hope you're happy because I'm never, ever, going to do something like this again.

Do you know how long this chapter is? 51 freaking pages. And do you know how many words are in 51 pages? 25,000 words. I'm never writing a chapter this long. Editor-chan was crying the whole time (and squealing because Tanaka was too cute, but still). I was at my wit's end.

What in the world happened? It was supposed to be 10 pages. Ten measly pages. How did everything evolve into 51 pages!?!

*coughs* Anyway, I'm almost certain this story is cursed. 。゚(TヮT)゚。

Can you believe I got sick, again, while I was halfway through? It was another cold, turned into a sinus infection, and I still have the coughs left over. And no, I'm not going to die. I'm okay, seriously. Thank you all for sticking with me while I'm on hiatus because of my classes and family stuff. I was planning on giving you guys a bonus chapter because of your loyalty, but I think 51 pages worth 3-4 chapters of material is good enough for now. ( ̄ω ̄)

But this is an information-heavy chapter and I understand if there were some parts that bore you. The game itself is convoluted and complex and though Editor-chan went over it with me and had told me that it's fairly easy and well-explained enough for her to grasp, I'm not sure if it was the same for anyone else, so please, if you have questions, I will try to answer them as best as possible! (Grammar might be worse than usual because of how long this chapter was, so please be kind!)

My creativity-power was completely exhausted because of this game, so please forgive me for any plotholes you might have seen >.<. 

The next few chapters should be fluff-filled and only fluff. I told Editor-chan that I'm done with world-building for a while, so everything should be nothing fluff for a while!!!

Also, I'm very sorry for the very, badly written Arabic featured in this chapter. I consulted with Google-sensei many times, but there might be plenty of things that are incorrect. I wanted to write in Najd Arabic and Gulf Arabic, but there's no convenient translator for those two dialects. 。゚(TヮT)゚。 What can I do? OTL 

So some of you are just going to have to settle with Modern Standard Arabic, which I am assuming that Google-sensei is using. *squints*

...--------...

Tanaka could hear Nicole mumbling under his breath, probably reciting a spell that would activate the runes on the mat and the longer he spoke, the brighter the engraving become, but... It seemed that the activation spell was really long-winded. Just listening to it was too tiring...

Regardless, by the end of the incantation, an image started to rise up from the mat and Tanaka's brown eyes sparkled in amazement as a grid formed over the mat. Over on Nicole's end, four translucent cards of different colors appeared in front of the temperamental nobleman and though his green-eyes had swept through them as if he was reading whatever was written on the cards, Tanaka couldn't see words on his end.

With a smug grin, Nicole grabbed the red card as if it was a solid item, making Tanaka blink in astonishment. Then, with a wave of his hand, Nicole sent the remaining cards to the other players in the field. Edward was given a blue card, Xander had a green card, and the remaining brown one flew in front of Tanaka and Amir.

Written on the brown card that the young master and butler pair had obtained were the words 'Zafaran' and Tanaka quickly realized this was how the game distributed countries. With an expression full of wonder, Tanaka reached for the card and nearly jumped when his fingertips brushed against it.