Chapter 8: I Don't Want to Play Pretend (2)

Author's Note:

*Runs, then jumps onto her knees and slides in front of the readers as she bends down to perform a dogeza*

I'm. So. Sorry! (シ_ _)シ This chapter took quite a while to write and that's because... well...

Half of what I have written... I didn't plan on writing >.>

This chapter was only supposed to be 8-10 pages... but it ended up being 19 pages instead...

And this was supposed to be a fluff chapter, but I ended up giving a history lesson instead! (;'Д')

And I was supposed to finish the 'I Don't Want to Play Pretend' chapters in two parts, but it ended up being in three instead!

Also, it took me a while for me to get into the groove of writing again after being unable to for a while...

Suffice to say, a lot of things has happened, but now I can give you chapter 8! I apologize for any grammar mistakes though; me and Editor-chan really did try and look it over several times!

...--------...

"Let's play 'Magic and War'!" Nicole insisted as he basically ripped Xander away from his books. After 2-3 hours of quiet reading, the young nobleman was already sick of just waiting for the Prince to move on to more exciting things. "Isn't this enough reading? I'm practically bored to tears already!"

"No one is stopping you from leaving, Sir Gallant," Edward pointed out irritably, his eyes not leaving the text of his grandfather's diary. Despite the harsh snub, his face was smooth and cool and his composure was very refined as if the rude words didn't come from his elegant mouth

Nicole sneered in response. "Is this how you always treat your guests, Rosetta?"

"Only to those that are unwanted, Gallant," Edward easily replied, using the ribbon attached to the diary to mark his place. While Nicole's control over his magic was weaker, Edward knew better than to let the nobleman out of his sight, especially when the other's temper flares.

And accordingly to Edward's prediction, Nicole's temper did flare, his magic subtly rising as the heat started to distort the air around his body. The temperamental teen turned around to face his cool and collected classmate, probably to make a very unpleasant retort in concern towards where Edward could shove his 'unwanted' comment in, but Xander quickly butted in before the argument could escalate.

"It's alright, Edward. We have been reading for quite a while now," Xander reasoned, wanting to reach over and separate the two arguing nobles but was unable to due to the little one sitting in his lap. For the entire time, Tanaka has been ignoring the ongoing interactions around him and continued on reading his chosen book, quite content with his warm and breathing seat cushion. "Let us play 'Magic and Wars'. It has been a while since either one of us has played it, I do believe."

"That's because it was a game for children, your highness," Edward pointed out with a sigh. "We're hardy at the age to play such a juvenile past time."

"Oh, like you can come up of anything better to do, Rosetta," Nicole sneered, his voice full of ridicule. "Such a big estate and yet, there's nothing exciting to do around here. No wonder you have such a boring personality."

Edward narrowed his eyes at the smug nobleman, his expression becoming colder by the second. "Better than having a frivolous one."

Once again, there was a fluctuation of the surrounding temperature, heat and iciness battling against each other, and recognizing the start of another fight, Xander tried to redirect the topic of the conversation. "I think the game is appropriate for someone of Thomas' age. We should include the little one in our plans as well since he had been so helpful and it would very irresponsible of us to leave him alone."