3.

I had finished breakfast and was now working on packing my belongings.

I sighed. How would I know what to pack? Would it be hot, or cold there? The letter mentioned to only pack the necessities. How was I supposed to know what the necessities even were?

So far I had packed enough clothes for four outfits, toiletries, some snacking food, as well as a picture of me and my mom. The suitcase I was using was getting stuffed. I wiped a bead of sweat of my forehead and deposited some boots into the case (they were actually meant for horseback riding, but we figured they could be used for dragon riding too).

After fighting for nearly fifteen minutes to close the stupid suitcase, I sat back with a relieved sigh. I turned around. Now time to pack some books. I was a big reader, if you couldn't tell by my brief section earlier.

I packed some of my favorites, including the book I had just been reading now - The Book Thief - and then zipped up the side pocket of the suitcase.

I grunted, struggling to pick up my luggage and drag it towards my front door. My mom offered to help, but I could manage.

"Lana, dear." My mom spoke as I heaved my heavy suitcase onto the ground.

"Yeah?"

"I think you should wait a bit longer before you go. We need to spend some good time together if I won't see you for a few years - or longer, depending on how things go."

I blinked.

"Maybe wait a couple days? I... I just don't want you to go yet."

"Sure thing, mom." I smiled softly at her wide hazel eyes. "I have two weeks, anyways."

"I won't keep you for that long." She chuckled. Then her tone was serious again. "You will write me, won't you?"

"Yes, mom."

"And you'll keep... wherever you stay... you'll keep it very clean, right?"

"Yes, mom."

"Brush your teeth twice every day."

"I know."

"And don't forget to get enough sleep."

"I know."

She relented, stopping the advice tips that I already knew. "I just want you to take care of yourself. You're not even 16 yet."

"I understand, mom. But I can take care of myself." I hoped that wasn't the wrong to say, but my mom seemed to get it.

"You know you can always come home, right? Always. I'll be here whenever you need me."

"Thanks, mom."

-------------------------------------

The next two days went by very fast. We went out to eat ice cream, we baked cookies, we swam down in the local river - we just had fun together. There was not a moment that I was annoyed or unhappy in those few days before I left.

Every night I stayed up longer to just talk with her. It was something I didn't usually do before - I would read or go right to sleep. For those two days I enjoyed more time with my mom than I had ever before.

And then time was up.

------------------------------------

My mother and I were standing outside. The sky was grey with the promise of rain - I could feel the moisture as we stood out there. My mom was smiling but she was also teary eyed. My heart was beating at a crazy speed as I clutched my suitcase (the scroll was stuffed inside it) and the amulet. I was wearing a delicate, offwhite dress with golden accents, not wanting to look cheap on my first day at Starsky. The dress was originally my grandma's, passed down to my mom and now to me. It was beautiful.

"It just says to press the button," I shrugged, peering down at the amulet.

"Then do it!" My mom replied to my rhetorical statement.

I took a deep breath, then jabbed my thumb down onto the button. There was a corresponding click to my movement and then there was silence.

"Where's the teleporter?" My mom raised her eyebrows after a few moments.

We didn't have to wait long for the answer to her question to appear.

There was the sound of air vaccuming into an unknown area, and I could practically feel the gusty wind pulling at my face, and then with a loud crack, a blue column of light stretched up into the sky right in front of me. I shielded my eyes from its immense light as the beam of light shimmered. I swallowed, turning towards my mom.

"I love you," she smiled widely at me.

"I love you too," I nodded to her, and stepped forward. I could feel my palms sweating against both the suitcase and the amulet, which I was still holding.

"I'll write you!" I shouted, and then stepped into the column of light.

All around me was a strong, unwavering blue glow, spinning and swirling, dancing and shining onto me. I lost sense of direction, and eventually couldn't feel anything except the neverending spinning and twirling.

And then it stopped.