6.

It was 6:00 PM on my sixteenth birthday.

And, of course, in less than ten minutes I would be going to a social at a magical Academy for dragon riders to harness power over the mythical beasts that would becomes their best friends. Nothing unusual.

"Almost ready?" I shouted to Amber, who was applying makeup in the bathroom. Over the last two days we had become pretty good friends, and, knowing us, we would cling to each other like burrs (Aaron ones - HAMILTON REFERENCE) because neither of us were very extroverted.

"Yep! I'll be just a minute!" Came the muffled reply.

I sighed, looking down at the letter I would be sending to my mother tomorrow morning. I read it over once more.

Dear Mom,

I've settled into my dorm room at Starsky Academy. My roomie is a really nice girl named Amber Starseer, and we get along well. Tonight is a social, where I'll meet the other students that have arrived so far. A nice fairy named Mabel told me about half of the invited students have arrived so far.

There's not much for me to say about the school. It's beautiful, really. It's gorgeous. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to be here. But of course I miss you. How are you? Write me back soon. In 9 days, classes start. I'm so excited!

Love,

Lana

Finally Amber came out of the bathroom. She was wearing a black and white dress - very simplistic yet stylish. Her hair was curled so it sat on her shoulder in thick waves. She was wearing black heels, and had shiny hoop earrings on as well.

As for me, my dress was a shade of azure, with what I called crystal teardrops running down the shoulder strap down to my hip. I also had on a sparkly crystal bracelet and sparking crystal hoop earrings, like Amber's. I wore flats, not heels, that were white to match the dress's accents.

 I wore flats, not heels, that were white to match the dress's accents