Chapter 4

I've been home for a few days now, and I've been staying in my room for the whole time. I have ... more like had, a stash of snacks in my room. They ran out last night. It's now just after noon and I'm starting to get really hungry. I put my ear against the door and don't hear anything. Everyone must've left.
     I quietly open my door and walk to the kitchen. I grab an apple and some leftover pizza before I head back upstairs. Spur of the moment, I decide to sit in the living room and eat instead of my room. Once I'm done with my apple I hear somebody clear their throat.
     "Crap," I say under my breath.
     I look up and see Mo-no, Lana- I don't know what I should even call her right now. She looks like she's been crying.
     "Kristia, what happened? Why did you just shut all of us out?" she asks.
     I stay silent. We sit in the silence for about 5 minutes until everything that has happened finally hit me and I start crying. I don't want mom to see me, so I run upstairs to my room and lay on the couch in my room. Not even a minute later there's a knock on my door I look up and see mom standing in my doorway. I must've forgotten to close and lock my door.
     "What happened Kristia?" she asks as the sits next to me on the couch.
     "I don't want to talk about it," I exclaim.
     "Okay. Will you at least tell me what started it?"
     "You," I mumble quietly.
     "Sorry, say that again."
     "You started it," I say loudly this time.
     "How? What did I do?"
     "You went to work on my birthday. I woke up to you and dad fighting. I was supposed to spend time with my family. Instead, you went to work and dad didn't really talk to me or say anything the whole day because he was still mad at you for working on that very important day."
     "I'm sorry Kristia. I thought you were fine with it."
     "Well I wasn't. You of all people in this house should know that when a woman says that she's fine or that it's fine, that that's not the case," I say bitterly.
     We both don't say anything after that. I hear mom hey ho and my first thought is that she's going back to her room, then I feel arms wrap around me. Familiar, safe arms. I lean into them and feel my eyes grow heavy.
     "I'm sorry Kris. I love you. I hope you know that," mom says.
     "I do. I love you too mom," I reply. With that, I fall asleep.
     I wake up to mom and dad talking to each other. Hey, at least I can tell that they're not fighting this time.
     "Fred, please be careful. We don't want her to wake up," mom exclaims quietly.
     "Mom, dad," I mumble while slowly opening my eyes.
     "Hey Kris," dad says. "I was just about to move you over to your bed."
     "Okay," I say softly, then I close my eyes again.
     Dad picks me up carefully after chuckling. I drift back into sleep.