{4}

A gentle, salty breeze caresses my cheek. I let my leg dangle from the edge of the harbor, the other one is angled to my chest. My arm rests on my knee. The water sloshes against the harbor wall evenly. On the other side you can see the shadows of big Container and huge cargo ships. It wouldn't take all too long anymore until the first ship takes off and the usual rush starts. Soon this place would be overflowed by people and workers, minding their own business. Soon the lights would turn back on. One after another.
The few lights from Downtown are reflected in the water, it is almost three A.M. and they are still one. I wonder what those people behind it are doing. What is their story? Their purpose?
As soon as the sun sets their stories goes on, everyone is going back to their busy day routine, forgetting about the magic of last night. But until now, everything stays calm.
And it's just Ámbar and me at the harbor.
Only the two of us.
Her and I.

My gaze travels to Ámbar. She is telling me a story in excitement, moving her hands rapidly to underline her words. But I am not listening to her. I watch her instead while being impressed by her, just like I have been the rest of the night.
She smiles again. But it is only an act.

"Are you feeling better?", I ask and totally ignore the fact that I interrupt her rudely.
Ámbar stops mid-sentence. She seems a little taken back. But I must admit, my question did come out of the blue.

"Ehm, yeah...I suppose.", she answers and keeps her gaze lock with the water underneath us. Skeptically, I raise my eyebrow. She doesn't notice.
Then she eyes me from the side, a smirk comes across her face.
"Am I boring you?"
I chuckle and shake my head. "Believe me, Ámbar. You can't bore me."

Finally, she turns her head to me and I can see in her beautiful blue eyes. Ámbar frowns but smiles shyly. She takes a full moment to look at me and it feels like an eternity. But not it a bad way...

"Can you tell me where you have been all this time? Couldn't you appear sooner?", she jokes but something inside me tells me that maybe she thinks more serious about it. Or maybe it's just my own foolish hope...

I grin and shrug my shoulders.
"Why have I had to appear sooner? You could have done the same. I have been here for a full year.", I accuse her with the same joking tone in my voice.

In Ámbars face shows a small, amused smile and I even dare to say that this time, her smile even reached her eyes. The thought makes my heart flutter.
Eventually, Ámbar looks away and stares into nothing. I survey her.

Both of her legs are dangling in air, above the water and her hands are nestle in her lap. My gaze goes to her arm, her skin looks like silk in the moonlight and I wonder what it feels like. What she feels like on a deeper level. I'd love to take her back in my arms.
Suddenly Ámbar jerks and I notice goosebumps all over her skin.

Without thinking, I take of my jacket and place it around her shoulders. The jacket I a few sizes to big that makes her look even cuter.

"Thanks", she says under her breath and wraps my jacket closer around her body. Then she goes back to staring into the darkness of the night. I wonder what she is thinking about.
After one last look at Ámbar I turn back to face the water myself.

What if Ámbar and I had met sooner? Would have had a chance to be in a relationship or would we have stayed friends and I would be the idiot watching her being with the wrong person? I would see her pain but can't do anything against it. Who knows maybe we did meet before? Maybe we walked passed in the streets or sat next to each other in the movies, we nodded friendly to greet each other as we sat down. Or maybe we stood in the same line at the check-out, but we never noticed the other one. Maybe it wasn't our time to meet then.