Chapter 17 Cake Is Not A Balanced Breakfast. Neither Is Your Two Cents.

***
"So what's on the agenda today?" Elvira asked as she sat in Payton's lap in the Alpha office. She had grabbed a paper from his hand and began to scan over it.

He smiled at her watching her closely, "You seem eager about this whole thing." He commented.

"Of course I am, this world is as much yours as mine now. I don't want to be clueless or helpless anymore."

Payton hummed at her words and kissed her forehead, "Well then I do have something rather important you can do for me."

Quickly Elvira smiled and turned to him, "I'm listening."

"Well the ceremony for the Next Genration needs to get on the way. Normally the future Alpha would oversee preparations but with all this with Abraham I can't dedicate enough time to see it done efficiently and in good time. Of course you will need help since you've never been to one, but I'll let you chose that for yourself. So what do you think?"

Elvira looked to be processing all the information and she turned back around, "Okay. I can handle it, but are you sure this is the best time to be planning this, with everything going on I mean."

"Actually yes I do. I thought it inappropriate too at first. But we can't fight this battle when me and father disagreeing on everything. The quicker the pack has one Alpha the better united we will all be." Payton spoke with calm straight eyes and Elvira just sighed agreeing with them.

"That does make sense. Alright I'll handle it," she jumped up much to Payton's dismay, "right away and I'll let you get back to your duties." She turned but Payton grasped her wrist and brought her close.

"Before you go, may I have a kiss goodbye?" He had a coy smile on his face that melted Elvira's heart.

She removed her wrist from his hold and grabbed his face in her hands and brought his lips to hers.

It did not last long, just long enough to send warmth through the both of them and she pulled away. "I'll catch you later Burr."

"Stay safe Moyer." He smiled as he watched her walk away leaving the room. The smile would not leave his lips as he felt the lingering feels of their kiss.

"What are you grinning for?" Sadly the smile faded immediately from the sound of his father's voice. "This is no grinning matter, that mate of yours is attempting to ruin our pack."

Payton glared as his father walked closer to him slamming his hands on the desk. "What can I help you with Father?"

"I am your Alpha, boy!"

Payton rolled his eyes turning back to the papers that filled his desk, "Yes well Alpha I am a bit busy taking over your job so excuse me if I don't have time to chit-chat."

"Really I thought you be in here twirling your tumbs while you let that human do the work you are suppose to take care of?"

Payton turned back up to him, "What are you doing keeping tabs on her? Don't you have anything better to do than follow the movements of my mate, your future Luna."

His father's eyes grew dark, "Clearly she needs people watching her. Did you hear what she did to injured troops?"

"She went to go see them and check on their process-" Payton began feeling annoyed.

"And! She gave the extra days of rest!"

Payton gave a dumbfounded look, "Okay."

His father slapped the desk agian causing Payton to get up from annoyance, "We are in war boy this is no time to rest, we need to get stronger. Softness has no place in war."