Kidnapped part 4

The Man Behind The Camera POV 

-------------------------------------------------- 

I loved watching this.

I took such immense pleasure in being able to watch her squirm. Knightly knew that, and he knew it kept me happy, so why was he sitting in front of her blocking my view?

I wish I could be in the room. I wish I could watch their faces in real time not through some mediocre camera in the wall that gave me such limited experience. I couldn't smell their fear, feel the intense vibrations of the room and their hyped breathing. I couldn't hear the silence that comes with their final breath. I do love that silence, it's one of the most pure sounds one could ever hear.

The monitoring screen showed Knightly was playing it safe. Answers in short form, trying to get her to do the talking, using all the techniques that some people are just born to use. I knew he had been a keeper all those years ago, now I would replace any of my sons with him any day, just for his natural talent at people talking. He was slowly starting to open up, use larger sentences and engage her eye contact. It made the subject talk made them think that this connection with their captor was going to magically save them. Oh how they were wrong.

This girl really was beautiful. She had long flowing hair and such petite features. So perfect. She really would be a shame to waste. I could see her start to get interested, try to sit up. Knightly's shadow was starting to move to the corner. Why? Usually this part of the act didn't start until later in the routine. He walked to the bed and lifted her veil, oh I see, trying to instill trust. Then I saw him raise the blade. My heart pumped, my ears hummed and I could feel it on the tip of my tongue. But Knightly was blocking the camera view. Dammit Knightly! Why was he doing everything so early?

Although it would be a shame to kill her, I liked this girl, she had spirit and there was just something intriguing about her that just made me want to keep her too. I knew it wouldn't take long to break her but she just seemed too much of a flight risk. Only choose those who have no reason to escape, a very valuable motto that has brought me far in this line of work.

I saw the swish of the blade and made a mental note to have one of the guys chat to Knightly about blocking the view of the camera, and maybe remind him of what happened to his friend Ben, because he started to get out of line. But as Knightly stepped back and cut the other rope off her wrist I was surprised. I hadn't seen that method before. What was he doing?

There was a pause and I stared as the girl reached up and pulled off the mask, I let out an involuntary growl. Knightly was a hard person to miss once you saw his face. Admittedly that was one of the only things I've done that I would ever count as a mistake, he was so recognizable and distinguishable it made it hard to use Knightly, one of the best, in many undercover stints.

She was caressing him. Oh he's gaining her trust. I understand. I knew Knightly was good and that this girl would be hard to break, but I didn't think he'd go this far. I admired him and nodded reluctantly at the monitor.

He started to pull out the dossiers. Ah, this is the stuff I love to watch. It always happens exactly the same way, every creature just as scared, like a mouse trapped in a maze. The fear, the shock, the betrayal, all those emotions running over their faces. The denial then the fear again as they know... they know how this is going to end. This is the part I live for.

Knightly splayed out the photos. I watched her eyes widen and an involuntary tear slipped out. It was odd though, almost no emotion seemed to flitter on her face, just the tears, rolling, silently.

I could see though, as soon as the stubbornness set in, I could sense the split second that denial hit and they demanded that proof be shown. I could anticipate every move, Knightly would make to explain his story, like the countless times before. Knightly pulled out a yellow envelope. This was new.