Kidnapped Part 7

Hayley's POV

I pushed past the small group of men as the sirens grew louder in my ears. Pounding and grinding on my every nerve making me jump at every movement. We needed to get out of here fast.

Ryan was fading in and out and I could tell these men weren't happy about us just leaving. They shouted and protested at me as I practically dragged and half carried Ryan in the direction of the car. My arms were aching from his weight and I knew he was slowing us down. My little red car was only about one hundred metres away but that was far enough. Someone’s footfalls were behind me, hitting the pavement hard with every step - and gaining on us.

I pulled Ryan along faster, doubts flooding my mind because desperation had really started to kick in, because I knew how much faster it would be for me to run without him. And he may have left me that other night without a word, but I knew that I wasn't going to leave him, especially not now. As we hobbled along and I finally let the hope of actually escaping creep into my head, I felt a strong hand pull down hard on my shoulder and yank me backwards causing Ryan to stumble and land on his knees.

"Ryan, run, now." I gritted out through my teeth, trying to wriggle free of the hold. I could feel the man's breath on my neck from his proximity.

I watched as Ryan fought his injuries and got up and started to open his mouth to say something, but I cut him off, knowing that time was of the essence. "Just go, it shouldn't be hard for you anyway considering last time. Go now!" I yelled at him, stunned to see a flicker of hurt flash through his beautiful eyes, before it was gone.

He looked shocked and I wished I could read his mind just for one second to see what he was thinking. His eyes left mine to land on the person holding me in place.

Suddenly alienating his face into a look so terrifying, I was positive I didn't want to hear what was in his mind. I knew in my heart that I would never forget that look.

Ryan started towards the man holding me, chills running up my spine in fear. It was the most bone-rattling look I'd ever seen on someone's face. I felt the man beside me relax his grip as he adjusted slightly to match Ryan's movements. Then I heard him speak.

"Look, stop, I'm not trying to catch you. You need to run, and fast. I can distract the police long enough for you to get far enough away. Just let me help you, by the looks of his injuries, he's not holding up so well." He spoke clearly and without hesitation, full of confidence, his words still hot on my neck. His grip on my shoulder loosened as Ryan lunged forward at the same time pulling me away.

“How do I know I can trust you?”

“Do you really have a choice?” The man stepped back in surrender.

The sirens infected the air once more, we didn't have a choice. The more I looked at Ryan's face, gritting against his obvious pain, I knew that we had only one road out of here. "Fine, that's my car, help him over to the car for me and I'll open the door and get everything ready." As I said this, the stranger pulled Ryan to his feet.

When I turned just in time to see the stranger pushing Ryan into the car, I pulled his body down onto the seat as gently as possible, before bolting to the driver's side of the car.

Turning to face him, I saw his anxiety. "Thank you. Really, he's a lot bigger than I am, and never wants my help anyway." I smiled and propelled myself into my own seat, and turned to close the door.

He tapped the window and I quickly rolled it down for him. "Here's my card. If you're ever in another pickle like this one, let me know. And the name's Chris." I took the card he handed me and nodded slowly, before putting the car in drive and speeding off. Watching in the rear vision mirror as more sirens filled the air and the police came roaring round the corner, oblivious to my little red car, slowly driving away.