prologue

I woke from a sudden crash.

"(Y/N)!" I heard my mother miserably screech. Her troubled voice sent chills down my spine, brought ringing to my ears, and tears to my eyes.

I scurried as fast as I could down our spiral staircase, and sprinted tiredly into the living room, where I saw my mother pooled in her own blood, and markings all over her face. All of our furniture was in shambles, and my mother laid in the midst of it all.

"Mother!" I shrieked, while running towards her limp body, barely breathing. My lips quivered and tears streamed down my face as I slowly slid my hands under my mother's neck. She smiled.

"Mom, why are you smiling?" I choked out. This only caused her to smile more, which was a scarring image to see because she was covered in blood.

"Because, (Y/N)," She breathed in her final breathe, "I love you.... and I'll miss you."

I sat there, still holding her lifeless body, shocked. Rivers of tears flowed down my flushed cheeks. I yelped, "No no no, mother, please."

Lightly shaking her, "Please, wake up, who did this mom," I started to shake her more, "Mom! Please! Who did this!?" I was now shaking her body vigorously, and quickly realized it did nothing.

I screamed.

Suddenly, I woke, and inhaled a deep breathe. I felt sweaty, and my heart beat quick.

"Just another nightmare." I whispered to myself, as a single tear trickled down my face. "Just a dream." I said again as I slowly closed my eyes, and drifted off back to sleep.

" I said again as I slowly closed my eyes, and drifted off back to sleep

I woke again to the sound of birds singing outside my window. Normally this would make me smile, and look forward to the upcoming day, but lately, it did nothing but make me frown and annoyed.

Ignoring the birds, I pushed myself out of bed and went on to get ready for the day. It was the first day back to school.

As I changed from out of my pajamas and into my Ilvermorny school uniform, I thought back again to my dream from last night. But remembered it wasn't a dream, it was a nightmare of something that really happened. The thought caused me to grieve once more, because lately, I haven't been dreaming of anything else; I only dreamt of that horrific night. I shrugged it off, and continued getting ready again.

As I made my way down the spiral staircase, I noticed my father in the kitchen making breakfast. As I noticed him, he noticed me and gave me a small smile, which I fakely returned.

Father was just as sad as I was, if anything he was more miserable than me. But, he did a better job at faking his emotions.

Father leisurely walked to our dinner table and sat down. "(y/n), dear, come here." My dad faintly said. I obliged, a bit worried by his light tone.

"Sweetie, what are your feelings towards moving?" Father asked, sternly.

This got me by a surprise, my mouth agape, I replied, "What do you mean by this? Are we moving?"

Dad exhaled, giving me a small smile, "I mean, it all depends on how you feel princess, I would never make such a decision without you knowing, or your approval."

I slowly turned, facing my back towards him. As I nervously fumbled with my hands, I thought; maybe it's best if we move, this house just has so much sorrow, and brings me nothing but pain. On the other hand, I do have many memories in this house, but deep down I know it's what mother would've wanted.

I turn and face dad, anxiously biting my lip, "Alright..." I exhale, "I'm fine with moving." I say, giving my father a big grin.

His eyes light up, and he quickly walks towards me, carrying me and engulfing me in a huge hug.

"Well, sweetheart, what are you waiting for? Let's get packing!" He says as he puts me down, and starts walking up the stairs.

Then, confusion hits me, and I raise my eyebrow at my dad, "Wait, what?" I speak, loud enough for my dad to stop and look down at me, "Dad... I leave for Ilvermorny today, if anything, I have to pack for that."

Father then starts to slowly walk down the staircase, and stops in front of me, putting his hands on my shoulders, "Oh... well, princess, when I say we're moving, I mean we're moving to the UK, specifically to London."

My mouth drops, and fury fills me, "What!" I screech, causing my dad to look down, feeling guilty. Which makes me feel a little bad, but I continue with my rage.

"Dad, please, when you said moving, I thought you meant as in moving homes! Not countries!" I exclaim, hands balled up into fists.

Father just looks at me dolefully, and pulls me into another hug, "Honey, I know it's going to be hard for you, it'll be hard for me too, but with what happened, I know you and I just can't stay here. We need to be with family."

A tear trickles down my stubborn face, "But we are with family, dad, us!" I feel my father sadly smile.

I pull away from the hug and look at him. "Please dad, what will happen, all my friends here, you expect me to leave my friends? What about Ilvermorny? The school year is just starting, where will I go?"

Dad just grabs and gently holds my hand, and wipes my tears, "You can write to them princess, and as for school, there's Hogwarts."

I roll my eyes and yank my hand away, and storm up the stairs, "Hogwarts, schmogwarts."

I've been defeated.

Here's what your current home that you're moving out of looks like