Bast Returns

Thronezwei: It had been several months since I had awakened to who I truely was, and the time had gone rather quickly, though for a god, that's to be expected. The number of individuals who had chosen to stay in the park as anthromorphic jackals had steadily increased, some old allies who had been called there, others new people looking for something new in life. To celebrate the several month anniversary of my employment there, I had invited Omni and a childhood friend of mine, Carol, to the park. She still knew me as Darius, and I aimed to keep it that way more out of respect for her.
I was waiting at the entrance to the park in human form. Though I could've disguised myself without physically changing, my partially canine nature could still be acertained by touch. I knew both to be punctual individuals.
Omni: I start walking out my door and find the entrance waiting for me just across the street. I quickly run in before it disappears behind me and I find myself next to Darius. "Hey buddy, hope I'm not late."
Thronezwei: "On time as usual old friend! Hard to believe it's been four months since you found out that one of your friend swas really an egyptian god, huh? Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed that t-shirt I got for you since I couldn't make a more magical gift. Also, another friend of mine's going to be showing up soon, and I'd like to keep her human for as long as possible. She likes furry art, but this would be a bit of a shock for her right off the bat. Not to mention finding out about me..."
As I saw her enter the park, my mind drifted to a new exhibit that had been imported. It was a temple in the style of my old homeland, but I hadn't been able to see it as it wasn't open yet, and Circe was tight-lipped about it. Even Ramses hadn't been able to gleam too much information about it yet.
"Carol! Over here!"
Omni: "Hey there Darius! Wow, so this is where you're been working this whole time. I was afraid you'd dropped off the face of the earth." I laugh a little bit at that.
"Hello, My name is Conor. I'm assuming you must be the good friend that Darius was just telling me about." I reach out my hand to shake hers.
Thronezwei: "Sorry about that, Carol. I've just been really busy with my new job and all that. But I didn't forget about you!"
She laughed a bit and smiled. We'd known each other since we were kids, or at least my mortal self had, but a friend is a friend.
"Nice to meet you, Conor! So, where should we go first? I'm kinda sorta hungry, but it can wait if you two want to show me around!"
*Any place here serve stuff that won't change her? It's not like I can send for pizza without her wondering why.*
Omni: *Any place really. It only changes them if they were meant to be changed into that form. So I would suggest you stay away from the places that involve the animal that she's most like. The rest of the places should be safe though.*
"Well, if you're hungry, how about we take you to the food court. You'll love it there. The staff is friendly and of course, you get to enjoy just about any food you might be in the mood for. Not to mention the suits." I give a little knowing wink to Darius. "I even have one of my own for while I'm working here. It's a lot of fun."
Thronezwei: *She's fond of cats, so the Kitsune Cafe should work.*
"Yeah, the suits here are quite realistic! I'll have to show you mine if I get the chance to later on. But I know of a good place to eat that's not terribly far from where we are right now. What say you?"
She thought about it for a few moments. She wasn't the type to do anything without thinking about it first. But she made decisions quickly and usually made the right one, something that I admired.
"Sure! I really could go for a burger! You guys will have to show me where it is, though. I didn't pick up a map of this place yet."
"Of course! Right this way!"
Omni: We lead her along, pointing out the sites and various attractions along the way until at last we arrive at the food court. You can get a clear view of the pyramid from it and boy does it look beautiful. "Well, here we are; the Kitsune paradise burger joint. One of my personal favorite places to dine when I'm working here, as I'm sure Darius and Circe can tell you."
Thronezwei: I smile a bit when I look at my home on site. I'd since modified it into both an exhibit and a home for myself and the others. But I'd show Carol it later, with a spell to keep her from changing, unless she caught on that Circe's Park was more than meets the eye. I let out a chuckle when Conor spoke of the burger joint.
"He's speaking the truth, and with good reason! Their food is really good. I mean, restaurant quality, and at a reasonable price, too."
"I was going to eat here anyhow, Darius! You don't need to sell me on it! Hehee ... sorry. But let's go in!"
The three of us entered and ordered. I got a hamburger, fries and a soda as I usually did and Carol ordered the same thing, though a smaller size of fry than I had and a diet soda.
Omni: I order my usual kitsune special and some water. "So Carol, how about you tell me a little bit about yourself? Darius hasn't really been able to tell me much." [/QUOTE]
Thronezwei: "We've known each other for...gee...probably since preschool or so. But we've been friends since then. It was a surpise to find out that we were both on FA. He's not much of an artist..."
"Hey!"
"Well, it's true! No shame in it, I'm not exactly Picasso myself. But even admiring art is something nice. I'm a big cat lover, another thing we have in common. But I'm sure you didn't want my life's story, Conor! So, what should we see first once we're done eating?"
Omni: "Hmm ... Good question. There's a lot of places to choose from. By the way, in case you didn't know, I have an account on the FA too. I love transformation art of just about any kind. Though I have to admit that Hornet is one of my favorites. He has a lot of artistic talent. Now then, back to the matter of where to go. If you'd like, we can try to go to the pyramid and show you around there. Darius runs that area. You could say that it's his domain." I chuckle a little bit at the joke. "Though there are plenty of other places to go too. The big cat pavillion, the swamp, the forest trek ..." A beeping and vibration going off in my pocket interrupts me. "Excuse me for a moment." I take out my PDA and quickly open up the messages area. "Take her to the new Egyptian temple exhibit. She'll fall into place there. C." "Hmm ... I just got a message from the boss. Seems she wants me to take you to our newest exhibit from ancient Egypt. Some sort of temple. I have no idea which, but I'm sure that Darius can enlighten us. After all, he and the boss are partners."
Thronezwei: I had gotten the same message, and I had a feeling I knew which temple it was. I had a feeling that Circe knew something about Carol that I didn't, but for all I knew, this was her giving the VIP treatment to a friend of a friend. Given the nature of the exhibit, I could even return to my usual form!
"It's the new one that just got set up, if memory serves. I think you'll like it, as Circe told me that it's modeled after a temple dedicated to Bast, the goddess with the head of a cat. And quite possibly the reason cats think we exist to serve them. But anyhow, since it's close to the exhibit I work at, I think it'd be best if I put on my costume before we go see it."
Omni: "I think I'll get changed too. Might as well, right? And of course when else will we get the chance to wow a beautiful young lady such as this?" I say jokingly.
Thronezwei: "You flatter me, Conor! But if you two want to get into costume, then I can wait! I look forward to seeing them!"
"I'm sure you'll like them! Circe makes them really realistic!"
*I assume you'll be taking your usual fox form, Conor?*
I hated lying to her, but telling her that I was really Anubis would either have her thinking I was joking or was off my rocker. We exit the restaurant and head for rooms specifically for this purpose. They were called changing rooms for a reason, and not just for people changing into bathing suits. I concentrated on my true form and clothing. As my feet stretched out into paws and my legs became digitrade, my sneakers altered themselves into sandals as my toenails became claws and dark black fur began to spread over my body, which in turn became more toned all over. My pants became the royal robes that I usually wore as my tailbone extended itself into a full grown tail, wagging slightly. My shirt altered itself into a vest I'd designed as the fur covered my chest and spread down my arms, royal bracelets forming as my hands grew pads and my fingernails became claws. I flexed my arms a little as my face grew covered in fur. My nose became black, leathery, and wet as my face pushed out into a muzzle, my muzzle, as my teeth sharpened themselves and my ears moved to the top of my head and lengthened themselves significantly as my headdress formed from my hat.
*Ah, it feels good to get back to this form.*
Omni: *That's kitsune form, Darius, but yes, I think I will take that form. It is one of my favorites after all.* We enter the changing rooms and I quickly initiate my own changes, my work clothes changing to accommodate my new body structure as my feet switch to a digitrade stance. Red, white, and black fur growing all over my body in the various places necessary for a kitsune. My ears point and shift to the top of my head as my muzzle shoots out from my face. My nose turning the familiar leathery black. I shut my eyes as my senses change to the more sensative versions of this form. When I open my eyes again, they are even more piercing and somewhat feral looking, but not so much as to cause fear. I watch as the padding forms on my hands and my nails become sharp claws. Then last, but not least, my tailbone starts to grow out and aches a bit as it splits into three separate tails before shooting out the conveniently (and magically) placed hole in my pants. "There. All done. You set Darius?!"
Thronezwei: "Indeed I am. I know she'll love this."
I could've corrected him, but there was no reason to, since I answered to both names. We both made our way back to the restaurant where Carol was. Nobody else batted an eye since the 'costumes' were often seen 'worn' by those working there. Carol on the other hand, well, her jaw practically dropped.
"Oh my...wow. Those really do look real! How are you getting the ears to move? And how much did they cost?"
"Company secret, I'm afraid, and I'm not sure. Circe never told me, but I'd wager a fair deal. But we're not too far from the temple, so let's get moving!"
Omni: "Besides. I'm sure we can arrange a deal with Circe anyways if you really want a suit like these that badly. THough lets wait till after we see this exhibit. It sounds like it'll be a real hit once it's open."
Thronezwei: "Yup. If you really want one of these suits, I'm sure that Circe could be convinced to take on a new employee. She's pretty generous about that sort of thing, but first, let's go see this new exhibit."
"I can't wait! Let's get a move on, then!"
"I'm confident that you'll like it. Circe has a knack for making things that people really like. This place gets a lot of return visits because of that. And that's important for staying afloat, eh?"
We left the restaurant and headed for the Temple of Bast exhibit. As I suspected, it wasn't open to the public just yet, but we were waved through once I showed the workers the message from Circe.
Omni: Once we were through. We were greeted with one of the greatest sights imaginable. The temple was huge and filled with columns made from black marble, or perhaps obsidian. Within was a very large and spacious room filled to the brim with all sorts of artifacts and valuables. Behind the Altar, one could clearly see a gigantic statue of the great goddess Bast. Her hands seemed to be cupped into some sort of platform for someone to stand on. I wonder how someone actually got up there in the first place. It seemed somewhat odd, and I don't remember seeing any statues or images like this in all my experiences with Egyptian artifacts. "Well, I'm definately blown away here, how about you Carol?"
Thronezwei: "This is incredible! Just how much of a budget does your boss even have?"
I was amazed myself. The temple brought back many memories of days long since past. But I wondered how it was all connected to Carol. The possiblity of her being Bast entered my mind, but it seemed too coincidental that two childhood friends could possibly be two ancient egyptian gods. But there was the possibility none the less...
"She has her methods. So, what do you want to do first while we're here?"
Omni: "Wow ... um ... I really don't know. There are so many amazing things here to look at. The history ... and it all looks so well preserved, almost as if it were taken from ancient Egyptian times.
Thronezwei: *More than she knows, in fact.*
"Well, you can take as much time as you'd like. There's no real rush since we're the only ones here at the moment. So soaking up the atmosphere is a good idea for now."
I couldn't sense and essences as of yet, but for all I knew, she needed to trigger something if she were to change.
Omni: "Thanks Darius. And thank you for showing me this." She walked over to the altar and brushed its intricate designs of runes and hyroglyphs. This is all just so amazing. All the attention to details, the way that everything is arranged. Definitely a woman's touch."
Thronezwei: "Well, Bast was a goddess, and cats are known for being clean, so it's only logical that a temple in her honor would be like this! Hm?"
*Did you feel something right now, Conor? I can't tell.*
Carol seemed entranced by the temple, and with justification. It was an amazing work of art and engineering. Then again, something pulled from either the past or restored with magic usually was. But if my eyes weren't decieving me, her ears were starting to gain slight points and grow fur...
Omni: *No ... I don't think that I did. But then again, I'm just a mortal. What do I know?*
Thronezwei: *Take a look at her ears, I think something's going on. I thought I sensed something when she touched the altar*
"Do you want to stay in this room or move on, Carol? I'm not quite sure how large this exhibit is, but it's probably of a decent size."
I knew I wasn't imagining things, but at the same time, I didn't dare ask her to check her ears. It would be a strange request, and I didn't want to alarm her if there really was a change going on.
"I ... supose so. If there is more to this exhibit, I want to see as much of it as I possibly can. So much history in so much detail. This is a museum in and of itself. Lead on, my friend, lead on."

Omni: "All right then! Let's go this way since it looks like this will be the start of the actual tour. I'm not sure we'll be able to give you all of the info, but we'll do our best. If you need anything translated, just ask!"
With that, we started walking down the corridor that I'd just motioned at. Though I couldn't see it, her eyes were starting to gain a more feline appearance.
As we walked down the hallway, there were multiple statues that could be seen of all kinds of felines. There were little cats, lions, tigers, etc. It was like a menagerie of feline statues all varying in size and shape. "I suppose that these are supposed to represent the subjects of Bast. Considering she was a cat goddess ... it would only seem appropriate that these would be here to show all the felines that worship and obey her." We came lastly to a statue that looked like a mix between human and cat. It seemed oddly out of place here for some reason. "Hmmm ... I don't know how to explain this one. Maybe it's supposed to represent her human followers?"
Thronezwei: "It looks amazing...would your boss mind if I touched the statue? I don't want to ruin something that can't be replaced..."
"I don't see why not. Statues can be cleaned, and you are a good friend of mine. But you might be onto something, Conor!"
Omni: "Wow ... really? That's surprising. Usually I'm the one who's all ignorant and hardly ever hits the nail on the head."
Thronezwei: "You surely jest, Conor! You're hardly ignorant! But we'll debate this later! For now, the tour must continue!"
I sniffed at the air to see if her scent had changed. I picked up Conor's scent, which was that of a fox, though I wasn't sure if Kitsune had a different scent, my own odor, and Carol's. It was mostly human, but there was a slight feline undertone to it. It was barely noticable, but it was unmistakable. Even if she wasn't Bast, the temple's magic was definately taking a hold on her.
Omni: I smell a feline somewhere in here. Interesting. I look at Carol as she moved to touch the statue. She seemed to have a little bit of a thicker coating of hair. And her ears had moved towards the top of her head. She's definatlely becoming something that's cat-like. The question is what?
Thronezwei: *Looks like I was right. I just hope she doesn't notice right now. I'm not too sure how she'd react.*
She touched the statue for only a few seconds, clearly admiring the craftsmanship. As she moved her hand away, I could tell that her nails were a little different, more claw-like than before. She didn't seem to notice, though. Were I still human, I would've been sweating a little due to being slightly nervous.
"Yoo-hoo! Earth to Darius and Conor! Let's keep moving!"
Omni: I sanp out of my contemplative thought. "Oh ... sorry. Sure. Let's head this way Darius." I said pointing to a dark corridor on our right.
Thronezwei: "You sure we'll be able to see in there, Conor? I didn't bring a flashlight. But if you say so, we'll go!"
I was lying a bit. I could see the corridor well, but I was worried about Carol. Though depending on how cat-like she'd gotten, she might also be able to see in there. I glanced at her and couldn't seeany new changes, but sometimes the effects were subtle.
Omni: Oh don't be such a fraidy cat Darius. Where's your sense of adventure?" Carol asked. "Besides. I can see just fine and I'm pretty sure that your eyes will adjust pretty quickly. Let's go!" She said excitedly.
Thronezwei: "Heh heh, you always did have a sense of humor!"
I wasn't sure if the magic at work made puns more likely, but she never used that phrase before. But the corridor in question was lined with more statues and hieroglyphs. They seemed to relate mostly to Bast, obviously, but also hinting at something similar to what happened to me...was she Bast? I didn't know. But I could see that the fur on her body was getting a bit thicker.
Omni: "Hmmmm ... interesting. You think you could translate a few of these for me Darius?" I ask. "You know I can't read hyroglyphs."
Thronezwei: "Well, let's see, it says that Bast was slain in a big war, much like Anubis was...but that's all I can make out. The rest I'm not real sure about. I'm not quite sure why, though. Carol? Are you in there?"
She had an odd trance-like look on her face. I wasn't sure why...but this feeling was familiar to me. Then it hit me. This was probably what had happened to me before I re-awakened. The evidence was mounting that my childhood friend and I had known each other for a lot longer than we'd thought. I wondered if she'd translate.
Omni: *Well, why don't you ask her already?*
Thronezwei: "Carol, would you like to give translating these hieroglyphs a go?"
I wasn't sure if she'd be able to, but I was at a dead end, which surprised me, and I still needed to teach Conor the art of making them out.
Omni: "Um ... alright." She said dazedly. "man. Feeling sort of dizzy for some reason. I think it says that Bast swore she would return once again and that She would be with her Anubis once more. Aparently they were supposed to be very close."
Thronezwei: *We were close, but man, you should've seen how Zeus acted...*
"If you need to sit down for a few minutes to catch your breath, I have no objections. Actually, let's do that for a few minutes. Any objections, Conor?"
I sat down on a nearby block or something similar. She had to be Bast...because once she read the hieroglyphs, suddenly I could understand them and it seemed like there was some kind of...well, I suppose you could say a block on them to prevent the person who wasn't supposed to read them from doing so. I could make out the startings of a tail on Carol, and her fingernails were now much closer to a cat's claws than they had been, but they hadn't transitioned entirely. I also wondered how long the two of us could keep up our facade, as once her nose changed, she'd be able to tell that these weren't costumes.
Omni: *Oy ... please spare me the details. I know enough just from the mythology. I don't need to see it or hear about it.* "Yeah. A rest sound good. Would you care to join me my lady?" I bow elegantly while motioning with my hand towards the block.
Thronezwei: *Trust me - I won't mention anything. Hercules was a nice guy, though.*
"Why thank you! Both of you are quite considerate to think of me!"
She sat down on the block that Conor had motioned towards. She seemed happy, which was good, but it seemed the kind of happy that you felt when a reunion was approaching, which made me wonder if she could tell that I was, in fact, Anubis, or if she just had some inkling that Conor and myself weren't as human as we had been pretending to be. I gave a slight wave with my hand.
"Think nothing of it, Carol! You're a good friend, so it's only natural that we'd take your needs into consideration. Just tell us when you're ready to proceed."
Omni: "But of course my dear Darius, but of course." She winked mischievously. We all let out a good laugh and then it was time to move on. "I'm ready to go." Carol said. Let's see some more of this place. It simply fascinates me to no end."
Thronezwei: "I'm not surprised it does. Ancient history is always worth learning about! This corridor looks like it'll end soon and branch out. Do you want to keep going straight, or go left or right?"
"Mmm...let's keep going. We can always double back if there's nothing worth seeing at the end of this hall."
I smiled a jackal grin. She was Bast, my old friend after all. It might take more for her to awaken, but I knew that it was her. I could only wonder how Conor felt, having one Egyptian god as a friend and meeting another one several months later. I wondered what would be the trigger, though.
Omni: We continue along the simple corridor to a beautiful room filled with all sorts of cat statues with gleaming ruby eyes. They seemed to be watching us. That creeped me out a bit. *I guess this is sort of like the guardians of your tomb. At least it feels that way.* I shiver.
"They're gorgeous. How do you think they wound up here?" We continue to walk along until we come upon one statue that seems different from all the rest. This one was one of pure black. There was no jewlery ... no fancy ornaments; just the cat itself. Any treasure hunter wouldn't bother with this statue. So the question was why was this one statue made to look so unnoticeable to those who might try to steal things from here? Carol just stared at it as she walked closer and closer to it. She seemed in a trance of sorts.
Thronezwei: *They're exactly like my guardians, only cats. I wouldn't be surprised if they come to life sooner or later. But since we're with her, they're not doing anything to us. But that creepy feeling's part of a spell. Most people don't stick around if they feel this creeped out.*
"I'm not sure, but they sure knew how to place them."
I watched as Carol went towards the statue. I grinned again, as only Bast would be so cunning as to place her essence inside of a statue like that. Unassuming, yet undeniably powerful. Once she touched it, they would be one again. As she did, all doubt was removed. She was indeed Bast. As the process started, her hands became a hybrid of a human's hand and a cat's paw as her nails finished their transitions into claws and retracted as black fur began to spread.
Omni: I watched as her shoes changed into sandals and her feet became digitrade foot paws. The fur continued to spread and to cover her head, making it come out into a beautiful and dainty feline muzzle. Her ears finished up their last changes and her tail grew out to be about three feet long. The padding grew in very quickly and her nails finished becoming retractable claws. Last, but certainly not least; her presence became the sort of expanding all encompassing feeling that you get around a god when they're not used to controlling it. A bright aura of power surrounded her as her clothing changed into something more suitable for the Egyptian goddess reawakened. THough it was naturally still modest. "Wow. I never get tired of watching a transformation happen, but this is even cooler."
Thronezwei: "Nor do I, my friend. Is this what it looked like when I reawakened, Conor?"
"So, it WAS you after all, Anubis! It's been far too long since we last met. I'd ask why you didn't tell me right off the bat, but..."
"Yeah. Telling you that the reason I dropped off the face of the earth these past few months was that I was actually Anubis and had reawakened due to an enchanted theme park run by someone from Greek myth would've sounded a little crazy. But now you know the truth, and I apologize for hiding it from you. So, what will you do first now that you've reawakened?"
I smiled warmly. It had been far too long to be separated from Bast. And yet, it almost was like we'd never been that far apart if one thought of it.
Omni: "Well ... here's my first thing." She quickly jumped on him and planted a whallop of a kiss right his muzzle. That was surprising to say the least. "And now for my second. I'd like to go say hello to Circe. It's been far too long since we last spoke and I'm glad she kept up the arrangements that I had made with her. It was just in case something happened and it looks like it was a good thing that I was prepared."
Thronezwei: The kiss was sudden, but not entirely unexpected. We'd been close, after all. I returned it before she spoke again. I couldn't help but smile like a fool. She'd planned this out well in advance, as she usually did. And Circe as usual had had a hand in it.
"I need to thank her as well. But it is a fortuitous thing that you did plan this out in advance. But you always did think ahead, Bast. It's one of the things I admire about you. Conor, the two of us could teleport you back to the entrance if need be."
Omni: "Well if you two would like to be alone for a while, sure. I'll tell Circe the good news. Though I have a feeling she already knows."
Thronezwei: "I think Anubis meant all three of us, Conor. We can go see Circe together. After all, it would only be polite of us."
"Seconded. I owe her a lot, and a thank you means much more face to face. But the offer still stands, Conor. Bast and I can catch up later once we've spoken to Circe."
Omni: "Alright then. Thanks buddy. I'll take you up on that offer. And welcome back Bast."
Thronezwei: "It's good to be back, Conor. Shall we, Anubis?"
"But of course, Bast!"
With a flash of light, we were back at the hallway at the beginning of the exhibit that was just inside. It never got old doing that, and it seemed that Bast agreed with me.
Omni: "Ah ... fresh air. Now then. I'll get to work and send a message to Circe. Unless you'd prefer to just head straight to her office in the castle. It's your choice."
Thronezwei: Bast was the first to speak. You could detect a hint of weariness in her voice from teleporting, as you could also in my own.
"Either way works. Teleporting does take a lot out of us, so a message might be best until we can teleport again."
"Yeah. It's not quite as easy as it looks, especially if you're out of practice like we are. Boy, I really could go for a soda and a bite to eat or something about now. How's about once you see if Circe'd be willing to meet us back at the Kitsune Paradise restaurant?"
Omni: "Sure. No problem. I'll get right on it." I whip out my PDA and write to Circe. 'Circe. Bast is back. We'll be waiting at the kitsune paradise. She really wants to catch up with you. See you soon. Omni.' And send. There we are. Now then, let's get us some drinks, huh?"
Thronezwei: "Sounds positively purrfect...I'm sorry, but I had to make a joke like that at some point! And no, I don't just like milk, in case you were wondering. Living life as Carol Rogers has given me an appreciation for other drinks as well. As I'm sure life as Darius Carver did for you, Anubis."
"It has indeed, as we are still them, and they are us. But philosophical debates aside, let's go get those drinks. I could go for a Coke about now, and what do you want, Bast?"
"Hmm...I guess I'll have the same thing. And what would you like, Conor? I can treat the two of you to these if you wish. It's the least I can do for you at the moment."
The three of us made our way back to the cafe. Bast was happy to be out and about, much as I had been. The fact that it was sunny probably helped a lot as well. Goddess or not, all cats enjoyed a warm sunbeam on their fur. I couldn't help but chuckle inwardly that nobody batted an eye in this park at some of the strange things, though I doubt anyone else could tell that two Egyptian deities were around.
"Well thanks for the offer, but as an employee here I get to enjoy meals free of charge. Still; feel free to enjoy yourself. I'm sure that all the cats here would love to meet you after you speak with Circe."
Thronezwei: "Patches and...Ziggs, right? I'm still trying to remember who the two main cat morphs here are. I'm sure they'd be happy to meet Bast. right? Hopefully they won't be as intimidated as they were when they first met me."
"I'm sure they'll be happy, Anubis. But as you've already accepted, our time in the sun is past. But I don't suppose Circe would be terribly opposed to taking another employee on before I run a few tourists through my temple. You wouldn't mind assisting, would you, dear?"
"I'd be honored, honey."
It was good to have her back, and Circe probably would not mind another employee. We ordered our drinks and laughed and told stories of days long since past. If it wouldn't be seen as fiction, I would be tempted to write a book about those days. Of course, fiction worked too.
Omni: "Ah ... I see that you two lovebirds are at it again." Said an all too familiar and miscievous voice.
Thronezwei: "Circe, it's been too long since we last spoke! Thank you for honoring my wishes to allow this to happen!"
Bast was almost as overjoyed to see Circe as she had been to see me. It was understandable given that Circe had been a key player in Bast's return. But I had to admit that I was also happy to see her. She'd given me back someone I thought that I'd never see again.
"Circe...thank you. I'm not quite sure how I can repay you for this."
Omni: "Oh nonsense. You've already repaid me by choosing to live here and help around the funhouse. Besides. I simply had to make sure that I honored my word. I can't stand to keep two lovers apart when they're meant to be together."
Thronezwei: "I thank you for your kindness anyhow. It's not like me to let a good deed go without at least a thank you. But what would you say to another employee? Having someone who's good with cats of all kinds would be a boon to the funhouse. Right, Bast?"
"You read my mind, Anubis. Would you mind, Circe? I hate leaving a debt unpaid, and I do owe you one for this. I wish I could also give you some kind of favor, Conor, but since Anubis told me magical gifts are out of the question, would an item of clothing or something be acceptable?"

Omni: "I suppose so. Just please not anything too fancy. I'm just an ordinary kind of guy who likes to wear normal clothing."
"And of course you can join the staff here. I wouldn't dream of keeping you out of the fun when Anubis is my partner."

Thronezwei: "I'll be sure to get you something, Conor. Any friend of Anubis is a friend of mine! And thank you, Circe. Is there a tour group that would make for a good first run through my temple?"
"I'll pitch in, of course. But later on, I'll need to take you on a tour of my home, Bast. It's not quite in the same location as it used to be, but I like it here. I feel at home here."
Omni: "Of course honey. I'd be glad to." She kissed him again and I started to blush a bit. *Man am I glad that I have a fur coat*
"Now Bast you didn't think I wouldn't plan ahead for this would you? Of course there's a group of people that are just waiting to enter your temple. Just be careful when you change them alright? We don't want them to lose who they are after all."
Thronezwei: "Wouldn't dream of doing anything like that to them. Free thought and individuality are something to be valued, after all. But I am sure that they will make fabulous felines! Now then, Anubis, Conor, if you two don't mind pitching in, shall we be off to conduct the tour? I'm certain the guests are curious about what lies inside of my temple."
"Ready, willing and able, Bast. But wouldn't a jackal and a kitsune look out of place in your temple? Jokes about dogs and cats not getting along aside, we'd look odd."
Omni: "Well that's no problem for me Darius." I quickly shift to the form of a lion anthro. My muzzle growing thicker and a bit longer. My teeth moving and changing along with it. My fur changing to a golden color as my tails merge into one ropy lion's tail. Muscles grow at a very fast pace as I grow taller and expand. My hair grows out into a lush lion's mane and my eyes change so that my pupils become slits. Although my eyes still remain the same sky blue. "So whaddaya think? [/QUOTE]
Thronezwei: "The king of the jungle, or rather, the savannah! A suitable form for you, Conor. But I'm afraid all I can manage to do is the form of a jackal."
"That's why you have me, dear. Now then...ah. A black panther would be a suitable form for you. After all, it matched both your current fur coloring and mine. Just give me the word."
"If you'd please, Bast."
Changing forms was not something done often, but I'd be able to return to my true canine form if I so wished. As her magic took hold, my ears shrank and became rounded as my muzzle shortened and broadened to fit that of a panther's. My tail lengthens and becomes more tube-like than the bushier tail of a jackal. My muscles bulk up a bit, but I don't change as considerably as Conor had. My claws become rectractable on both my hands and feet. The change completes itself as my eyes become slitted.
"Wow...thank you, honey. Shall we be going?"
"Let's. I'll catch you later, Circe. We still have a lot to catch up on!"
Omni: "Alright dears! Enjoy yourselves you hear me?!"
Thronezwei: "I'm sure we will!"
And with that, the three of us were teleported to Bast's temple. She went into the final room to finish setting things up, and Conor and I went to just inside the entrance so as not to alarm the tour group that was lining up. As the two of us walked outside to greet them, I could see and smell that it was a rather sizable group.
"Greetings and welcome to the Tour of The Temple of Bast! We hope that you will enjoy your trip through this exhibit. However, no touching exhibits unless otherwise told so. Some of these exhibits are quite old. However photography is permitted, so feel free. I am Darius, and I will be one of your two tour guides on this magical journey into history!"
Omni: "Hello everyone. As you have heard my good friend Darius tell you. We are taking a fantastic journey into the past today. My name is Omni and I will be your second tour guide. If you have any questions feel free to ask and we will answer to the best of our abilities."
Thronezwei: "Where'd you get those costumes?"
"Ha ha ha, we were given them as part of being employed here. But if there are no other questions for the moment, let's get this tour on the road! I'm sure that you're curious to learn what lies within, so let's get moving! Also try to stick together. There are several corridors that branch off, but we will try and get to all of them in order."
*Ready for this, honey?*
*Darling, of course I am!*
With that, we led the group inside the doorway into the temple. You could hear 'oohs' and 'aahs' as they looked around, taking pictures and talking amongst themselves. I smiled, as the sense of amazement never got old. Before the tour was over, they'd learn more about the past than they'd imagined.
"Right here is the main entranceway. As you can see, it is spacious and well-decorated. Now, off to your right are some items that you can examine if you'd like to. Once you feel that your curiosity has been satiated, we can move on."
Omni: I watch as the tourists make their way over to the various trinkets and baubles that were on the display table. *I guess Bast wanted to start with a little vanity since cats do generally have just a bit of it.* I watch as they put the necklaces up against themselves, reveling in how beautiful they look. I also notice that some of them have sharper nails and that their ears have taken on a sharper point. They put them down again and came up to us, ready for the next part. It looked like some of them were growing taller and bigger, their clothing getting tighter, while others were shrinking, and still others were still perfect sized for their clothing.
Thronezwei: *Some, but not as much as you'd think. Hopefully Bast has provided some clothing for them soon, otherwise they might notice.*
*Already ahead of you, Anubis. Take them down to the left. There should be some rooms for them to change into the proper attire. The clothing and footwear in and of themselves aren't magical beyond a slight compulsion to wear them.*
"Those artifacts were quite interesting, weren't they? Now, let's get going down the corridor to our left."
We made our way down the corridor that Bast had pointed out to me. True enough, there were some outfits and changing rooms for them. Unlike the clothes on my tour, they had only minor enchantments on them. But they would be irresistible.
"There are some outfits that you can try on if you wish. Just put your items on the lockers and change into these outfits which are in the style of those assoicated with Bast."
True to what she had told me, the group all went for the outfits, choosing the ones that would expand or shrink to fit their future forms perfectly. Once they had changed and had emerged, they seemed content. But I could see clearly that their eyes were starting to change into those fitting of a feline. One young couple seemed to be turning into lions, if the man's thicker beard and hair seemed to be any indication.
"All right, now that we've all changed, let's continue onwards! Omni, what is in this next room? I always seem to forget!"

Omni: "I believe that next we have the room which depicts all of Bast's followers in statue form. If you all will just follow me." We walk over to the hall where we had gone before and Then turn to the left and hit the three branch corridor. I take the middle and they follow. "Here we are. All of these statues were artfully carved and formed to look as life-like as possible. As you can see there are some types of felines here that aren't even located in Africa, which is also a bit of a mystery to us. But hey ... what good is a temple without a good mystery right?" They immediately flocked over the statues, eyeing them and adoring them. *I'm guessing these are here to make the people admire those forms and wish they had one like them?*
Thronezwei: "Of course, silly me! But it is as Omni has said. You may touch these statues if you feel so inclined. After all, those who made them put a lot of hard work into it so their work would be admired by all! And feel free to ponder the mystery!"
*Knowing Bast, yup.*
As I'd expected, the young couple from earlier touched the statues of a lion and lioness. A woman touched the statue of a tiger, and many others touched the statue matching the feline of their choosing. I smiled at the kindness that Bast was extending towards them. Being able to choose the form you'll take, albiet unwittingly, was something kind.
As I looked, their changes seemed to progress further. Their faces were starting to push out into muzzles and their noses were starting to change in turn. The startings of tails could be seen if one looked close enough.
"Let's move on! There's a fascinating story that will be told soon!"
Omni: "Come on now everyone. We have a little more ways to go. Darius ... Where is our next destination?"
Thronezwei: "We're going to be continuing on down this hallway! Ah, the story on the walls talks of a great and horrible war amongst the gods and goddesses of old. After the god Anubis was slain, the cat goddess Bast swore that one day she would be reunited with him and made arrangements with a member of the Greek pantheon for an eventual return should she be slain or otherwise vanish. Unfortunately, she was struck down, but told her friends and allies that she would come back to be reunited with them and Anubis eventually. It is a tragic story, but one that has a potentially happy outcome in the end."
Omni: "Yup. If you would like a better view of the story from Anubis' point of view visit his tomb located in the pyramid." It looked like a few people were crying at the story. I don't know if this was because of the transformation or just because the story is so sad. Though it did seem that they were getting hairier. And their feet had become digitrade paws with claws. Their fingernails had also become clawed. And a few of them even had sharper canines from what little I could see. "Next we will be taking you to the heart of the temple, where many treasures and riches of old lie in place, guarding against unwelcome intruders. Legend has it that they were once loyal followers of their mistress Bast and that they chose to become as statues so that they might act as guardians against theft and to protect her essence from those who were not worthy to receive it."
Thronezwei: Slowly, but surely, they were changing, much as my own followers and friends had and will in the future when more decide to visit my tomb. As we entered the main treasure room, I could see that Bast's followers had collected quite a bit. The statue-like servants hadn't returned to life just yet, but I could tell that it would happen sooner or later. The story even saddened me, but I knew that the happy ending had already occurred. These people would soon learn of it as well.
"Nobody knows the value of these riches and artifacts, but one might say that their true value is not monetary or even historical, but personal to those who donated them to Bast. Though there are more rooms like this one, we are in the largest of them, so you could say that this is the main storage area for them. The next room we're going to be arriving in holds three large statues. One of Amun-Re, the principal god of the Egyptians, and this would be the largest one. The second-largest one is naturally of Bast herself, as this temple is in her honor. And finally, the third is of Anubis, since the two were close."
Even now, I couldn't help but marvel at the work that had gone into making them. Though I had used this moment to further change people in my tomb, I didn't know if Bast would be a copycat, to use a lame pun, or do something entirely different.
Omni: "Wow. Talk about amazing architecture huh?" They all stared mesmerized at the statues. They were awe-inspiring. Not to mention huge. Others were staring at the treasure, ogling it and I thought I might have even heard a little purring, though I may have been wrong.
Thronezwei: There was definitely purring from a few of those that were becoming domestic cats instead of the larger ones. It meant that there were more changes taking place, albeit internal ones rather than external. There were no flashes from the statues that I could perceive, so it seemed that Bast was going to do something else to change them further, what, I didn't know. But she had something up her sleeve.
"All righty folks! Let's keep on moving! This treasure will be here on the way out if you want to take another gander at it. Next up will be the room where the various servants and priests would have rested when this temple was being used, so you'll definately want to keep those cameras out!
Omni: We walk down a hallway and enter said room. There were hammocks and homemade beds everywhere. And there were tall comumns that supported the entire infastructure. It was amazing.
Thronezwei: "As you have likely guessed, this is where they lived when not performing their duties or going about their daily lives. There wasn't much privacy, but theft was virtually nonexistent amongst them. Feel free to look around or even sit or lay down if you want to. These are modern reproductions of what the beds and hammocks might've looked like."
I couldn't help but wonder if any of them would lie down and take a brief 'cat nap' such as it were. But I had to admit that playing tour guide was kind of fun.
*Having fun, Carol, or should I call you Bast while we're working?"
*Either name's fine, Darius. But I am having fun indeed! These people are very kind from what I can tell. But...from what you told me, there's the possibility some of them are from the past?*
*It's likely that some of them are old friends of ours. The spells that allowed us to return seem to act like a siren's call for them. But we shall see. The first group isn't always composed of them. These could just very well be random people who decided to take a tour.*
Omni: *It probably is. Still they're going to make some great additions to the funhouse if they choose to stay.*
Thronezwei: *This is true, Bast. Hmm ... looks like they're getting sleepy. Is this part of your plan?*
*Why, of course! What cat wouldn't take the opportunity to nap every now and then?*
*Feeling sleepy, Conor, or are we the only ones who aren't being compelled?*
Omni: *I'm guessing we're not being compelled since we're already cat morphs and I got a good night's sleep anyways. Though I do have to admit being in a sunbeam does sound nice about now.*
Thronezwei: *Precisely, Conor. But their changes should kick-start once they start sleeping. They shouldn't be asleep too long, though. It wouldn't be fair to make the two of you wait for long*
I watched the soon to be cat morphs fall asleep. True to Bast's words, their changes seemed to kick into high gear. Tails grew to their full lengths, tufts sprouting on the ends where appropriate, and their fur started to grow out.
*Wow. you work fast Bast. Real fast.*
*Cats move fast when needed, dear. We aren't always lazy. But I thought that it would be fair that they meet me soon rather than drawing it out too long,*
Their faces finished pushing out into muzzles as their teeth finished their changes into a form appropiate to their new forms. Their newly-grown tails could be seen twitching as their fur finished growing in and their feet and hands finished their transitions into paws, their former fingernails, now claws, retracting into their proper places until they so wanted them to unsheath. Muscles either bulked up or became more wirey depending on what species of cat they were becoming. Farly soon afterwards, they all woke up, their transitions into anthromophic felines now complete. They still didn't seem to notice any changes as they put their sandals back on.
"Now that we've gotten some shuteye, I think we're ready to head to the final room. Everyone ready?"
"Yeah!"
"Then let's get going!"
Omni: "Ahead we will see the very heart of the entire temple. The throne room and shrine of the great goddess Bast. We have a very specail surprise that's waiting for you there, but I'm afraid that I can't tell just what." I wink mischievously at them and then give a knowing look to Darius.
Thronezwei: I returned the wink. Everyone was curious as to what was going to happen. But how else to fully explain than to have them meet the real me? I would need to find an excuse to separate from the group so I could return to my more familiar, and original, jackal form.
*I'll be going ahead, Conor. I figure that they'd need to hear from Anubis and Bast...so keep them occupied for a few minutes!*
"I will be going ahead for a few minutes to prepare for the surprise that Omni has mentioned, but fear not! This will not take long!"
With that, I duck down a nearby corridor and make my way to Bast's room. She smiles warmly upon spotting me.
"Going to go back to being a jackal, are we, Anubis?"
"Uh-huh. It'd be best if they hear from the both of us, and since I'm really not a panther..."
"No need to worry, honey! I know!"
"You always were super considerate."
It took but a thought, and the changes reversed themselves. My ears pointed and lengthened back to their true length, which looked silly on a panther. My muzzle thinned and lengthened back into a canine one as my body lost some muscle mass compared to the big cat's build I'd had before, but still looked well toned, not overly so as before. My tail returned to its previous form as my claws moved to the tips of my fingers and feet and ceased being retractable. It was now over. I was back to being Anubis.
*Send them in, Conor! We're ready!*
Omni: "Alright ladies and Gentlemen. It's time to see the surprise!" I lead them on through the hall until we come upon the golden room filled to the brim with those guardian cat statues. They really do look more lifelike now. "Ladies and Gentlemen; may I introduce you to the lord and lady of this house; Anubis and Bast!"
Thronezwei: As this was her temple, Bast was the first to speak to the group, who were just now noticing that they were now anthromorphic felines and not humans any longer. But none of them seemed overly distressed, which was good.
"Greetings! As you know, I am Bast. The stories of my demise were not exaggerated. Like Anubis, I was killed, but since all cats have more than one life, so to speak, I now stand before you. I have lived as a mortal for a short while, so I know of how the world has changed since I previously was walking on this earth. But that aside, you as individuals have a choice. I will let Anubis explain."
"I was, and still am, the tour guide named Darius that guided you here. However, this is my true form. I apologize for the deception as to my form, but a canine would've looked out of place. But the decision, dear travelers, pertains to your forms. The changes are currently temporary. In a few hours, you will change back to your previous human forms or sooner, if you leave the park. However, Bast can make these forms permanent if you so desire."
"But be forewarned, if you choose to retain these forms, I cannot change you back. So if you have some doubts as to if you want to stay, please tell me so that I do not trap you in a form that you will not enjoy. I hope that many of you will stay, but if you do not, I will bear no ill will. If you wish to take some time to debate amongst yourselves, feel free to do so. Neither Anubis or myself wish to pressure you."
Omni: I was getting a major sense of dejavous from all this. It was just like it was with Darius. The only difference was that it was with a cat goddess this time.
Thronezwei: *Dejavu, Conor? This is sort of like that legal disclaimer in movies. We need to ask as per Circe's wishes and our own desire not to entrap people*
It didn't take too long this time. The lion couple approached us first. I smiled when I noticed that they were keeping their tails entwined. Though I hadn't noticed earlier, they spoke with a British accent.
"We wish to stay here, sir and madam. We're archaeology enthusiasts, as well as having an interest in anthropology, you see, and what better way to learn about ancient cultures than to stay with those who witnessed such events? I can't say I mind these new forms either. I consider them to be a badge of honor, if you will."
The wife smiled as well.
"I can't really say anything that my husband has not already stated. I rather enjoy the thought of being a lioness."
Bast smiled.
"You remind me of myself and Anubis. But I accept the two of you into my temple."
Unlike what I did, there was no real glow, but if one were sensitive, an aura of the transformation taking a hold on the two could be felt.
Omni: "Welcome home." Bast said.
Thronezwei: "Many thanks, Bast."
The rest soon decided to stay. Though none of them had been in her service in a previous life, they all seemed to be the kind of people who would've been anyhow. But it could've been since the statues of the guardians finally came to life, the presence of new blood into the ranks of those in the service of Bast being the key. The leader, who was a Lion, knelt on one knee.
"Milady, Milord, we have returned. Though it has been many years, we never stopped thinking of you."
I laughed. The guard looked confused, but gave me a chance to explain.
"There's no need to address us so formally now. Times have changed, even though your duties have not. Bast, myself, and your new comrades in arms will give you a crash course on what the modern world is like. You could also ask Omni over there, as he can give you plenty of sage advice."
Omni: "I wouldn't say that Darius. I'm just a teenager in college. I'm not that wise yet." If it weren't for my fur ... everyone would see me blushing.
Thronezwei: "You still have a lot of knowledge that could be shared. Some of these guardians aren't much older than you. Well, in a technical sense. But my point stands. But the question now is what to do? A feast would be out of the question since those can't be held too often."
I couldn't help but wonder what would be appropiate for a situation like this. A goddess returning was a momentus occasion, but at the same time, I wanted to keep it low-key unless Bast had other plans. Though once night fell, we'd almost certainly take a walk through the park and reminisce.
Omni: "well if a feast is out of the question, why not have some other form of celebration? Perhaps a small party with your closest friends and advisors? I'm sure Bast would love to see Ramses again."
Thronezwei: "You guessed correctly, Omni. I would indeed like to see him again, along with Bethset and Captain Bashir. Your idea is a good one. And our newer friends can also meet each other like they did long ago. Does this sound good to everyone?"
The answer was a resounding "Yes!". I couldn't help but smile like a fool. I had finaly regained an old friend, and had gained new ones. Now all that remained was to arrange the parties. One for Bast, Conor, myself and our close friends, and one for the newer, but still equally valued friends.
Omni: I laugh. "I guess sometimes I do have my moments."
Thronezwei: Bast wagged a finger at him in mock chastisement, her tone clearly one of a humorous jest.
"You have more than just moments, Omni. That aside, shall we get started on the preparations, Anubis?"
I lifted my head up from my PDA, having sent a message to Ramses and the others about the smaller parties that we had in mind.
"Already on it! I'd say this will be a magical time, but that'd be redundant, eh, Omni?"
Omni: "Yes, but it still is true." I chuckle a little.
Thronezwei: "Yup, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. Ramses said that the others seemed interested in doing this, so whenever you're ready, we can start setting up. Bast and I have plenty of interesting stories that we can tell you and the others! That is if you're up to hearing them. We have many, don't we darling?"
"Oh indeed we do! Or we could talk about more present events and the like. You will be a guest of honor along with Circe, and I'm not going to take no for an answer. You were, after all, the one who helped Anubis become whole again, and you assisted me as well. I know you don't think you helped much, but you did. But this little serious matter aside, is there anything you'd like us to include in the planning? Favorite food, or a game of some sort, or anything, really. Catnip?"
Bast was smiling as she had spoken, but she was serious about the first half of what she had said. I had told her that Conor couldn't accept a gift like magic from us for personal reasons, but she, much like I had before, felt like he deserved something. But for now, fun awaited. I had gained much this day, and it was not over quite yet.

Omni: "Um ... I guess i can't take no for an answer. After all ... you're the lady of the house."

Thronezwei: "Relax, Omni! I apologize if I came off as being too forceful in my statements. All I want is for you to have fun and feel included! But we should get to work getting things set up. Even with magic, it's going to take a bit. Fortunately, we've all had a nap recently, so we can work."
I laughed a little. This was a light-hearted moment, so there wasn't a reason for anyone to feel put upon. I would have my usual meal, as it seemed that even though I had re-awakened, my tastes in food had not really changed from before I had.
Omni: The party was lots of fun once we had finished setting up and Ramses and I were having a wonderful conversation about various aspects of modern and ancient theology. Darius was enjoying his usual meats and Carol was enjoying a tuna salad, emphasis on the tuna. Everything seemed just perfect and there was still the second party to go to.
Thronezwei: As I'd expected, the smaller party was enjoyable. I overheard some theological talk between Ramses and Conor. Though like everyone, Ramses had lived in the modern world, being older, he was closer to being used to the old ways than the rest. As I'd remembered, Carol, and Bast, liked Tuna a lot, much like any cat. We were telling stories of old adventures and the like. There was the second party, but since that was for the others, I felt it was best that we remain at our own.
"Having fun, Conor?"
Omni: "Of course. Ramses was just telling me about some of the finer points of ancient egyptian worship. It's a fascinating subject."
Thronezwei: "Isn't it, though? I could go on at length on the subject as well if you'd like, but from what I've heard, Ramses is telling you plenty, as well as you are telling him a lot as well. You do have a lot to give to the world at large, such as your writings. You just gotta relax a little more."
Bast chuckled a little bit in her own cat-like way.
"It's an interesting subject indeed. But do you own any cats, Conor? I could put in a good word to them, ask them to behave or something. They do listen, and I don't think that this would be breaking any rules."
Omni: "No Bast, I'm afraid that I don't own any of them. I own a little dog back at home who I love very much. A cute little mixed breed of Picanese and Teacup Yorkie. I'm telling you, you'd fall in love with her if you were to meet her."
Thronezwei: "I'm sure I would, Conor. Though Anubis would be more likely to get along with a dog than I would. But I'm afraid that the time is becoming late. The park closed a little while ago, and we're all going to need to get our rest soon. Is there anything else you want to do or say before we need to prepare for sleep?"

I looked at my watch. It was indeed late as I let out a canine yawn. Ramses excused himself and went to prepare for the next day's tours as the final change to the tourists who entered my tomb was in part due to his own abilities. Bashir had gone to sleep earlier since he needed to keep in good shape for guard duty. It was soon just down to Bast, myself and Conor.
"Sorry about the yawn. But we should do this more often. It's always nice to just talk amongst friends."
Omni: "Of course it is. Well Darius, I'm going to have to get myself over to the castle. See you guys in the morning. And play nice." I say teasingly. I hope it isn't too much.
Thronezwei: Bast caught on quickly and smiled a knowing feline grin. She didn't want to go into any detail, only to return Conor's tease.
"I wouldn't worry. We always did."
If I could've blushed, I would've. After a slightly embarrassed chuckle, I smiled, though it was obvious that I was tired.
"See you tomorrow, Conor. Tell Foxx and his girlfriend I said hello."
After we said our goodbyes and he left, I looked at Bast We were together after a very long time. Perhaps it was fate, perhaps it was not. But all that mattered was that we were together again.
"I love you, Bast."
"And I you, Anubis."
Before we retired to our respective exhibits/houses, we shared a long kiss and a hug. Things were looking better all the time. I had my friends, my family, and my health. I couldn't ask for anything more.
The End