Thirty

(2007)
"Thank you Liverpool!" Murph yelled, slightly out of breath. I lobbed my sticks into the crowd and we all went off stage. Mark handed me a open can of cold beer and Murph and Tord sipped theirs. Tord jumped up to sit on the counter in the dressing room, Murph flopping onto the sofa, spilling beer into himself.
"Fuck" He wiped his hands on his jeans.
"Where next?" Tord asked. We'd been touring so much, it was getting a bit hazy. Mark looked at the sheet with all the information on it.
"We're at London in two days" He said, studying the sheet. "Staying here tonight and then leaving in the morning."
"Wanna come back to my parents?" Murph suggested, taking a big gulp. We looked at each other.
"Yeah okay" Tord said.

The garage was the same as it had been all those years ago. It felt nostalgic yet sad at the same time. After university had finished, we lost contact with a lot of people. Clive and Mark had broken up and Mark was our tour manager so naturally, we lost touch. Annie had a really big falling out with Emily so she was off the radar. Rose moved to Nottingham permanently, not wishing to keep contact after Murph tried to make a serious move on her at a party. And Saga. After crossing eyes with her at the bar that night, we exchanged numbers and talked for a while but being Saga, the number became disconnected after a while. She told me that she had been living in Leeds, she'd run away with her mum as her mum' boyfriend was getting abusive. She passed that exam. She expressed little regret about leaving but it didn't surprise me. Murph flicked on the light and the 7 of us piled into the garage. There was Murph, me, Tord, Mark, Graham who did our sound, Joel who was our instrument tech along with Simon. We drank, smoked and eventually past out around 4.

I woke up with a start. Mark was the only one up, smoking a cigarette and sitting on the floor where he'd slept. He smiled at me and motioned towards the door. We left the garage and the sun was rising. We walked down the deserted road, littered with cars. People we started to get up for work, getting on with their busy lives. Mark dragged on his cigarette.
"You good?" He asked.
"I'm good" I told him honestly. "Could do with a coffee" I chuckled and so did Mark.
"Nothing has really changed has it? Murph still parties like he's 18, Tord is still deeply rooted into his relationships..."
"And we're still going on walks" I smiled at him.
"It's the best hangover cure" He blew smoke into the sky.
"You excited for London?" He asked me.
"Yeah" I nodded. "What could go wrong?" We smiled at each other.