2. May Twenty-Second, A Day I Can't Remember

Chapter 2

May Twenty-Second, A Day I Can’t Remember

When my eyes opened the next morning, only one question was floating through my head:  Why did I feel – why did I know – May twenty-second was a very important day?

It had been on my mind when I snuck back up to my room after listening to my parents’ conversation about Paris.  But then when I finally fell asleep close to two in the morning, I heard a voice echoing through my dream. 

May twenty-second.  Even if we’re still apart or finally together again, I want you to meet me…we’re going to figure this out, just you and me, no one else, okay?

That voice was what made my heart jump into my throat when I bolted up from sleep, tears burning in my eyes.  What he was saying…I didn’t understand exactly what it was about…

But it was the voice that went with those green eyes that I saw almost every night, no matter what. 

Now, if I could just remember him.

 ***

Jason’s eyes were glued on me as I bit into a piece of toast at breakfast.  They moved to Dad and then Mom a moment later, like he was trying to silently ask me if anything had changed from the night before after he’d left.  But as far as I knew, nothing did. 

Judging by Mom’s tense jaw and Dad’s annoyed expression, something had.

“How are you feeling this morning, Emmy?” Dad asked, glancing over at me as he reached for the Times on the side of the table. 

“Fine,” I answered warily.  “How are you?”

“He’s fine,” Mom said through clenched teeth as she looked at him through narrowed eyes.  “Aren’t you, Brian?”

“Holly,” Dad said in warning.  “Don’t start with this again…”

Jason raised an eyebrow at the two of them.  “Are you guys fighting?” he asked, and then followed with a loud, “Ow!” when I kicked him under the table. 

“Why would we be fighting?” Mom asked, stabbing her eggs a little too forcefully.  “Absolutely everything is perfect.”

“What’s going on?” I asked, looking between the two of them.  I was going to go out on a limb here and just outright ask.  “Is this about Paris?”

Her narrowed eyes went to me then, lips pursed.  “And just how did you know about that, Emmy?”

“Um…”

But she didn’t take the time to even let me finish…ratting out Jason, of course.  Let him take the blame for once.  “Brian Alexander, you said you hadn’t told her about this!  She is not going!”

Dad sighed, setting down his paper and rolling his eyes like I’m sure he did multiple times during their conversation about it the night before.  “You know my opinion about this.  She should decide herself if she wants to go or not.  And besides, I didn’t tell her…Jason did.”

Jason scowled.  “Thanks for throwing me under the bus.”

“It still doesn’t matter.  I am her mother…”

“She’s nineteen, sweetie.  She can choose to go if she…”

“I don’t care how old she is!  I get to say if she goes or not!”